OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Frogspawn I got from the LFS. It's still getting used to the current in the spot it was at, but was open 4-6 inches there and the price was only 140. My torch seems very happy so I figured the Frogspawn will be in slightly less flow. My birds nest lost a bit of polyp coloration, but appears to be growing and branching along with the montipora digitata. I plan on keeping them on the rack for a bit more (they've been there over 2 weeks) and then bumping them up another few inches.

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely been a lot of changes, mishaps, and new additions as I got much better discipline. I just got home so I'll update in a bit!

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210902_185553.jpg

Here's a side shot with some of the new guys. The Frogspawn I moved up higher recently and was dialing in the flow. Both torches are also new. I had a salinity refractometer that I didn't realize was off by 0.05, and slowly lost coral due to keeping the water at 0.41 salinity

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210902_185553.jpg

Here's a side shot with some of the new guys. The Frogspawn I moved up higher recently and was dialing in the flow. Both torches are also new. I had a salinity refractometer that I didn't realize was off by 0.05, and slowly lost coral due to keeping the water at 0.41 salinity
oh wow. Those corals look good tho. I've always wanted to try torches but are scared of their price and if they would die or not. How is your experience with them?

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches? Hmm... They aren't too crazy. I would just ensure they get decent flow (preferably random, and not direct) and keep a keen eye on your nitrates and salinity. They are fairly tolerant to minor elevations in phosphates but they really don't seem to like huge swings (so like any LPS, really.) Also, there are plenty of beautiful torches that won't break the bank, but I definitely get it. The named ones can be insane.

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches? Hmm... They aren't too crazy. I would just ensure they get decent flow (preferably random, and not direct) and keep a keen eye on your nitrates and salinity. They are fairly tolerant to minor elevations in phosphates but they really don't seem to like huge swings (so like any LPS, really.) Also, there are plenty of beautiful torches that won't break the bank, but I definitely get it. The named ones can be insane.
alright thanks :D

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright thanks :D
One nice thing is because they're very flowy when happy, it's pretty easy to tell when they're not because they're retracted and stubby. Water changes (20-30% weekly) have kept mine happy so far, but the elevated salinity and Nitrates killed my other one (it got brown jelly, which is as fast moving as they say it is. Dead overnight.)

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: gorgonians doing well. Periodically have been giving Benepets and some freeze dried rotifers. The refugium is also doing well. I light shocked the algae with my grow light and have since swapped to a lower power led bar, which the algae have grown under. Lots of pods crawling about. I also spotted a green sea slug, which I'll try to identify in the hitchhiker forum.

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gracilaris doing great. The slug has significantly reduced the Caulerpa size. May not be enough nutrients also. I really like how these keep my nutrients in a good spot. They let me feed my gorgs every other day. Refugium is happy
IMG_20211002_123518_155.jpg
IMG_20211002_123518_325.jpg

OP
OP
Wasabiroot

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has significant microfauna and my mandarin has been doing well for two months now. I ordered a beautiful biota Derasa from Liveaquaria (hopefully it's not a mistake) that I'm excited to get. I've always wanted a clam and I'm getting ready to start dosing a small amt of alk and Calc. I have a phytoplankton culture going as well in case I need to give it a bit of pep. Also have a black axil chromis and fang blenny coming in (captive bred). Just made a mesh top so hopefully no jumpers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back