Waste water from your Ro/Di?

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

I have been in the hobby now for about 2-3 years for this second tank and a year or so prior.

When we look for information in this hobby we hope to gather as much outside experience from other reefers before we do something. Well sometimes. Lol. However for this post I wanted to hear how other use their waste water.

I then thought This would be a great way to also maybe encourage people who don’t reuse the water and just let it go down the drain. As we all know, we as hobbyists should have a greater awareness for things like this.

I personally gather my waste water and use it for the laundry.

I was planning possibly running a line to the outside for watering the gardens.

Does anyone have any other ideas and or ways to set stuff up this sort of thing?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Route the waste to a 5 gallon bucket. Great for houseplants

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately use a lot of water, with a large RO/DI system and can't keep it all. Luckily it is a 1:1 ratio so that helps with waste. But we also have a ridiculous amount of plants so that's one use :)
What are you using for 1:1 ratio Is your house water that clean?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for 1:1 ratio Is your house water that clean?

It's about 275ppm, but I have an Ro1000(actually can produce around 1200gpd) that I added 20" sediment, and 20" 1micron carbon pre filters to, with the chlorashield block that comes with it and the two membranes at 70 ish psi it does well. Then I run dual DI canisters after. With that system it comes with a 2:1 and a 1:1 fitting as well.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
How do you keep the washing machine from not pumping the water to the house waste line? Mine empties automatically.
I start the washer and let it start to fill a bit. Once that happens I pause the load and dump in about 5 or so gallons. No more than that because I don’t know if this would cause any long term problems.

Does anyone know if that could hurt the washer?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used to keep it in a separate brute to water plants in the summer but it’s just too much water and now we just let it go down the drain. I make 55 gallons of RODI every other week.

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1591157602534.png
lol

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anyone do this before, but I'm thinking about using the waste water to automatically fill my toilet tank. When someone flushes, a float sensor in the toilet water tank turns open a solenoid located just before my RO membrane (but after the carbon filter) to make clean water and waste water to fill my toilet tank. The clean water will be automatically stored in a pressurized water container (located between the RO and DI), while at the same time the waste water will fill up my toilet. I plan to get rid of the automatic shut off valve, and let the float switch shut off the solenoid once the toilet tank is filled up, stopping any water from entering the RODI system. Even if my pressurized tank is full with clean water the solenoid will allow water to still pass through the drain line and fill my toilet since I got rid of the automatic shut off valve. Instead I will use a check valve to make sure water doesn't go backwards from the pressurized tank.

The XP AQUA RO/DI flood guardian has all the features needed with water level sensor and solenoid.

Let me know if I'm overlooking anything or if I should keep the automatic shut off valve.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
I haven't seen anyone do this before, but I'm thinking about using the waste water to automatically fill my toilet tank. When someone flushes, a float sensor in the toilet water tank turns open a solenoid located just before my RO membrane (but after the carbon filter) to make clean water and waste water to fill my toilet tank. The clean water will be automatically stored in a pressurized water container (located between the RO and DI), while at the same time the waste water will fill up my toilet. I plan to get rid of the automatic shut off valve, and let the float switch shut off the solenoid once the toilet tank is filled up, stopping any water from entering the RODI system. Even if my pressurized tank is full with clean water the solenoid will allow water to still pass through the drain line and fill my toilet since I got rid of the automatic shut off valve. Instead I will use a check valve to make sure water doesn't go backwards from the pressurized tank.

The XP AQUA RO/DI flood guardian has all the features needed with water level sensor and solenoid.

Let me know if I'm overlooking anything or if I should keep the automatic shut off valve.
Attach files

This is a really cool idea.

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI is next to my laundry- I simply put the waste water line in the drum every time I'm making water.

Ditto. I'm on well water and when my washer fills, I'll do a load if I can. Additionally, I have a ton of chickens and a couple of goats. I fill up five and one gallon jugs to keep them hydrated and to water the plants. I try to waste the least amount of water as I can.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back