Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw your purple monster, I slap myself on the face!. Just saw it few days ago at my LFS. Time for a re-visit.

My WT Mother of Pearl just got too big for my tank so I donated it to my LFS. Now I have room to move my Purple Monster which was stuck behind my large colony of JF Flame. I was able to get better pictures but to my dismay, when I was trying to photograph the purple monster, I realized I placed it under a brace. Oh well, this picture is still better than my others of it. I had to manhandle the colony to remove it from its old spot, so you can see some abrasions from grabbing it and pulling.

Purple Monster

20170825-DSC01760.jpg

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WT Mother of Pearl just got too big for my tank so I donated it to my LFS. Now I have room to move my Purple Monster which was stuck behind my large colony of JF Flame. I was able to get better pictures but to my dismay, when I was trying to photograph the purple monster, I realized I placed it under a brace. Oh well, this picture is still better than my others of it. I had to manhandle the colony to remove it from its old spot, so you can see some abrasions from grabbing it and pulling.

Purple Monster

20170825-DSC01760.jpg

Thanks to you, now i have to bang my head on the wall. Insane purple!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!! That true purple monster is one of my all time favorite corals. Truly one of a kind coloration.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love images of your corals, just sayin. ;Shy I have never been disappointed.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to you, now i have to bang my head on the wall. Insane purple!

Yes!!! That true purple monster is one of my all time favorite corals. Truly one of a kind coloration.

Sensational Mark

I love images of your corals, just sayin. ;Shy I have never been disappointed.

Thank you for the kind words. Encouragement to share pictures is always appreciated greatly.

Its been so many years since I have had a Pearlberry in my tank, I don't really remember what it looks like. I got this frag a while ago and it is starting to spread its wings.

Pearlberry

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More metal halide photos from this morning (that means no led supplements were on):

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

I know the next photo looks photoshopped but its not. Corrected to 20k temp and exposure corrected. Metal halides and t5's, no leds. When you get into the body color it transitions from pink tips to orangish. But the bright yellow polyps are everywhere.

Z's Yellow eyed jawdropper

I have taken lots of pictures of the following coral but have had a hard time capturing how pretty it really is. Its called Z1. This photo is also with metal halides and t5's but no leds. You can see the rock work and coralline algae at the bottom of the picture for color reference. All of these pictures were taken this morning

Z1

A great reefing buddy shared this frag with me a while back. It is showing some great color potential. My friend always has the best colored coral of anyone I know. I am using a new macro lens and so its fun taking pictures. The field of depth is certainly shallow. The purple haze at the base of this frag is my rock work.

The next one has really tight branching. It has awesome color. Its called Z's Favorite. You can see some of my rock work in the right hand corner.

Z's Favorite

I have two colonies of the Pink Floyd. One in high light and one much lower down in the tank.

Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the Pink Floyds present differently, is the coloration and the growth pattern the same?

As always, really enjoyed the images. ;Smug

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the Pink Floyds present differently, is the coloration and the growth pattern the same?

As always, really enjoyed the images. ;Smug
I really don't think the Pink Floyd matters a great deal in placement for its color. The one with the highlight may be growing faster but it is also getting more flow. Plus I think there may be many reasons why a coral may grow faster most of which I can't pinpoint.
Awesome stuff Mark! Glad the tank is doing so well, even with all of your vacations!!
Vacation time always presents a challenge. I have an ATO and I have someone feed the fish while I'm away. But there are so many potential problems from equipment failure to an endless list of possibilities. I was just away for the weekend visiting my daughter's family and my brand new RR USA frag was knocked over but I actually was able to retrieve it and re-glue it. My fish seem to enjoy knocking over frags or even mini-colonies from the rock work--its crazy.

Z's Blue Floyd under blue lights

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have accumulated a lot of these super fine branched corals with some sort of pink in them. This one started browning out a while ago while the rest of the tank was happy. Well color is returning and its looking pretty good.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to remove this and trim. I placed the monti, Z's Dream Monti, on a D-D Epoxy custom disk molded to my rock scape. Unfortunately or fortunately, it is overgrowing the D-D epoxy and stinging the adjacent acro (far left) and starting to attach to my rock work directly. It really is pretty. Metal halide and t5 picture.

Z's Dream Monti

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love that monti. My piece is starting to recover from falling upside down on the sand and laying there unnoticed for a few days. Hope to have those colors back soon.

TDTA1181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to remove this and trim. I placed the monti, Z's Dream Monti, on a D-D Epoxy custom disk molded to my rock scape. Unfortunately or fortunately, it is overgrowing the D-D epoxy and stinging the adjacent acro (far left) and starting to attach to my rock work directly. It really is pretty. Metal halide and t5 picture.

Z's Dream Monti
My frag of this is doing great! I kept it in lower 1/3 of tank it’s color seems richer but growth is prob slower who cares it’s happy, lol.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that monti. My piece is starting to recover from falling upside down on the sand and laying there unnoticed for a few days. Hope to have those colors back soon.
It is such a pretty monti
My frag of this is doing great! I kept it in lower 1/3 of tank it’s color seems richer but growth is prob slower who cares it’s happy, lol.

The color on the monti can be absolutely crazy. I toned down the photo in lightroom because it doesn't look real otherwise. You certainly are correct, the yellow is incredibly bright and the orange in the center of the body is unbelievable rich plus Blue polyps (blue polyps are pretty darn cool).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back