Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy colors!!!!!, very nice.
thank you, the tanks colors are mostly pretty good. But some of the crazy colors are due to LED lighting of the frag photos. LEDS make corals show colors that you would not see under metal halides or even t'5s. And although, you can sometimes see hints of other colors, LED's literally make things pop. I used to think it was unfair showing led pictures but since the majority of reefers have LEDS either for dawn/dusk or their exclusive lighting system, lots of people see these colors presuming they have pretty coral. So I just try to identify what lighting the photo was shot under. I wish I was a better photographer, wish I was better at understanding color correction, use of filters, which filters, and wish I was better at lightroom or post production. I know some reefers like to brag about unedited pictures but that really means a picture that is not an accurate representation of what we actually see. In other words, it really is a yucky picture that presumes the lack of editing represents honesty and when in fact it is the opposite. All these picture tools are just that, tools to try to get the picture to look accurate as to what is seen. The difficulty is getting it right. It really is hard. On top of that, for reasons that I don't understand, some days pictures come out meh no matter what. I have learned to just wait for another day. I show a lot of pictures because I enjoy documenting growth and development. And I think I just like taking pictures of coral, it may be the primary reason I reef. Actually there is an aesthetic quality to seeing happy, thriving coral. It takes a long time from a funky frag to a pretty colony and so many things have to go right for so long before that happens.

I'm hoping mine get there with my new lights. we shall see

I love technology. There are great lights and great corals. Great lights, great coral, great parameters and a whole lot of patience usually results in wonderfully colored up coral. It is funny/interesting that among reefing buddies, we get different success with the same coral (all frags came from same mother colony). Some of us get luckier with growth, others with color and some get no luck at all. Sps, well all coral, can be so darn finicky and humbling. I too get excited about new stuff, whether it be technology or a new frag.

I guess it is about time I share some metal halide pictures (from this afternoon, and no LEDS at all).

Vivid's Rainbow Delight I fragged a piece for a buddy a while back and it punished me with some loss of color. That is pretty routine for this coral, browning out both frags and mom on cutting. Anyway, it is starting to turn a corner and a hint of what awaits is there, I think.

Z's Blue Floyd Yup, it is still gorgeous under metal halides but you can't see the glowing blue tips without those lovely leds. In my mind's eye, the polyps are redder than in this picture, but if I tweaked the picture, it just started looking funky. So this is the best I could do (but it is not bad)

Purple Monster If you don't have it, you should. It is a classic for so many, many reasons. I had a big colony years ago, cut some frags for fellow reefers, lost it in a crash, but got a frag back of it. I guess this would make this piece the granddaughter of my original mother colony.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the following I think a year plus ago. Just sat there for a while but starting to spread its wings ever so slowly. Metal halides only.

Reef Raft Canada Cherry Bomb

My gyre does it what it was cleverly designed to do but it sometimes causes this wind swept growth appearance in some colonies. Good old fashioned: Pink Lemonade

Bao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful corals, I have a few questions if you don't mind.
your tank is a 180 gallons right? how much rocks do you have? Do you keep sand? How many fishes and how often do you feed them? Do you feed your corals any other foods or just the fishes? Do you have a a picture of the whole tank and pictures of the sump?? I just want to get a better idea of all the equipment that are used to grow those corals.

Thanks

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up and decided to take some pictures this morning before the day really got started with boring stuff, there is a mix of lighting in these. I realize I am repeating and repeating pictures of the same corals, but these are many of my favorites. More to follow down the road.

Reef Raft Asia Diablo

Snuck in a couple chalice pictures

Reef Raft USA Medusa

Z's Prize

Reef Raft Asia Rays Rainbow

This one was so hidden between other colonies, I couldn't get enough light on it to focus very well plus its tiny

Z's Yellow Eyed Jawdropper

TGC Inferno

Reef Raft USA Orange Passion

Reef Raft USA Pink Floyd I reduced the clarity to get a different kind of picture, it is kind of cool, maybe

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thought I'd share some relatively new pieces, although they are baby size (metal halide only pictures):

Reef Raft USA Godzilla

Reef Raft USA CJ Pinky (It may be getting too much light, if there is such a thing as too much light)

Reef Raft Canda Wolverine

This one I have had for a while, I think I can say it is now mini colony size. It looks much more outstanding in blue leds, but here it is under metal halides only. Hard to find piece.

Reef Raft Canada Ultimate Orange Passion

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granulosa, just starting to have the tips change from dark green into something prettier. A ways to go though

Another little frag, I think its cool how it is stinging the coralline algae as its base continues to spread and grow.

Here is another (time after time) picture of my JF Flame. It looks a little overexposed. It is cool looking anyway.

[/QUOTE]

pga7602

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Mark... I just keep comong back to this thread. Thanks for keeping it updated.

-Tri

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is metal halide and t5 lighting photos (no leds)

JF Flame

RR USA Pink Floyd (super white growth tips, very cool)

Z1 (hard to describe these colors but magical nonetheless, and yes that is metal halides for you)

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking SPS, incredible variety and all healthy great to see. I am new to the Pic taking as well, real hard to get "good true color" to show up - still learning. Thanks for sharing can't wait for the other pics.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phenomenal collection and pictures as well! Great work!!
Thank you, it means a lot
Great looking SPS, incredible variety and all healthy great to see. I am new to the Pic taking as well, real hard to get "good true color" to show up - still learning. Thanks for sharing can't wait for the other pics.
Thank you and I appreciate the comments. I don't think "good true color" exists anymore. This was a passionate topic/interest of mine for years because of the tweaking and adjusting that could be accomplished with photoshop or lightroom. LEDS have changed everything because of the variety of color spectrums and lighting. I think honesty and integrity and descriptions of the lighting used is the best you can ask for today. Heck, even going to frag shows, no matter how big they are, vendors and hobbyists are all utilizing the bluest lights over the frags tanks at these shows. I use metal halides, t5's and reefbrite xho's on my display, and t5's on my frag tank. When is the last time that you saw a vendor at a frag show with a metal halide over his frag tank.

So here are some t'5 lighting only photos from my display.

A very cool monti, it came to me as pink body color but it is taking on a much more orange tint.

Reef Raft Canada Shazam I have taken a gazillion photos of this colony. It is interesting to me how sometimes under the same lighting, the coral seems to look different. Today is a happy day. that really is two 80 watt ATI blue-plus lights on and that is it.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 6 bulb T5 and two LED lights on my MD tank, the LED's are from a company in Austin that no longer make Saltwater stuff called "Build My LED", great lights. You are very correct no one runs Halide or T5 at a frag show, kinda funny. You're T5 pics are great as well.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are the pics further up top with Halide or LED?

So post #572, the first three most current acro photos above are t5's only for those three pictures. The post above that, post #571 is just blue LEDs (reefbrite xhos) for that jf flame single photo. I try to label most pictures so to understand what lighting was utilized for each photo

Here are some more photos shot under ati blue plus only

This following photo of Z's Blue Floyd looks so dramatic that it's hard to imagine there really were not any blue LEDs illuminating it. It is an all t5's lighting shot nonetheless . It was shot with an asa of 100 when the rest of the group were subsequently modified to an asa of 800. The two t5's bulbs just weren't putting out enough illumination given the placement of this acro at an ASA of 100 so in post production (Lightroom) I increased the exposure to lighten it up in essence. I believe adding or decreasing exposure in post production is reasonable.

Z's Blue Floyd

Continuing with t5's lighting only

Z's Prize

Z's Dream Monti

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always love to follow your photos! Thanks for continuing to share these with us!

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your Photography information, I am just getting into trying to take better pics. Your SPS look amazing the "Z Blue Floyd" is crazy looking - Stunning! ;Jawdrop

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back