Watchguy's SPS Addiction (photo intense)

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read your articles and I am glad you didn’t give up. Your tank was beautiful. I almost gave up too, but I think you’ll bounce back nicely. Fire season in California is no joke, always scares me here.

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, its great to see you back. Give me a jingle if you want to look at what I have. Z's dream is 4" across and growing well!
Fortunately my month's survived. So is your Z's dream monti bright yellow or more orange. I find in high light it gets super yellow and in lower light it adds lots of orange highlights.
Wonderful!! So glad you're bouncing back!!
Thank you
Happy to see that you’re bouncing back from such a disaster. This thread is one of my favorites.
Thanks, happy to be around.
Really glad to see it! Good luck with the regrowth!
Thank you, growth is always to slow. Except when colonies get big and then it is faster than you can keep them trimmed.
I’ve read your articles and I am glad you didn’t give up. Your tank was beautiful. I almost gave up too, but I think you’ll bounce back nicely. Fire season in California is no joke, always scares me here.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback and support

So I have become a favia fan and am expanding my small collection. Just like sps, they respond differently to different light sources. Here is a favia that was grown under primarily LEDS ( I don't know if they were radions or not) but now its getting a little bit of all lights, metal halides, t5s and reefbrites

JF Goldrush Favia

coral-1.jpg

This is another cool favia below that gets a very pretty gold rim

Z's USC Favia

coral-9.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang these are beautiful!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fortunately my month's survived. So is your Z's dream monti bright yellow or more orange. I find in high light it gets super yellow and in lower light it adds lots of orange highlights.
I have it on a vertical in a high light area so the areas that get more exposure have the bright yellow while the more shaded parts have the orange.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@watchguy123
do you ever make it up north to the central coast? Let me know. I can make some SPS frags to help re-seed your tank. It has been inspirational over the years and I'd love to help give you that "push" back into the addiction. TGC Cherry Bomb, the Granulosa in my signature, vivid rainbow delight, lots of others. If I was in your position, I know I'd be stoked if others offered some nice coral.

If you accept a lot of coral from others, do some QT though, man it would stink to rebuild the tank just to get da bugs.

Hang in there, be stoked your house didn't burn, and I can't wait to see more pics of awesome coral. Keep your chin up.

oh, also, even a small generator (think like $500 used) can run a modest return pump (in case you are thinking you have to go the massive automatic changeover generator route [$$$]). Wouldn't have helped this time since you weren't home, but that is my fallback plan. I have a 2500W genny and enough gas to run for a few days. Other fun thing is we have solar, so if the sun is shining, my tank can run. Food for thought.

Ben

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You inspire me to have healthy corals in my tank!! I hope one day to post pictures like yours!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang these are beautiful!
Thank you Rev
I have it on a vertical in a high light area so the areas that get more exposure have the bright yellow while the more shaded parts have the orange.
I think it is really cool monti. It is really hard for me to photograph well, it has this weird blurring effect because of the way the colors are in it.
@watchguy123
do you ever make it up north to the central coast? Let me know. I can make some SPS frags to help re-seed your tank. It has been inspirational over the years and I'd love to help give you that "push" back into the addiction. TGC Cherry Bomb, the Granulosa in my signature, vivid rainbow delight, lots of others. If I was in your position, I know I'd be stoked if others offered some nice coral.

If you accept a lot of coral from others, do some QT though, man it would stink to rebuild the tank just to get da bugs.

Hang in there, be stoked your house didn't burn, and I can't wait to see more pics of awesome coral. Keep your chin up.

oh, also, even a small generator (think like $500 used) can run a modest return pump (in case you are thinking you have to go the massive automatic changeover generator route [$$$]). Wouldn't have helped this time since you weren't home, but that is my fallback plan. I have a 2500W genny and enough gas to run for a few days. Other fun thing is we have solar, so if the sun is shining, my tank can run. Food for thought.

Ben
Ben, that is an unbelievable offer. Incredibly kind and generous. It is a good feeling for me to have you respond so kindly. I am in your neck of the woods infrequently ( once every couple years or so) but I am so touched by your offer, next time I am there, I will try to contact and just simply say hello if I can. I have had friends reach out to me in all kinds of ways and it is nice. I have been purchasing some frags along the way and definitely working on getting restocked. Plus I have gotten more than my fair share of freebies or discounts from friends already.
You inspire me to have healthy corals in my tank!! I hope one day to post pictures like yours!
Thank you, Tyler. I have always loved seeing pictures of other peoples corals. It has been inspirational to me both in terms of what is actually available plus what some people can achieve with coral color and growth by seeing those photos.. There are so many gorgeous corals. So, I appreciate that you have noticed my corals and pictures. I find it fun to share pictures. A little bravado perhaps and hopefully some knowledge or information shared as well. Without forums like this, how would we know about so many different corals and colors.

This is Z's monti. The angle of the picture is a bit strange. I have this piece on a tile pushed up against the back of the tank and this was looking down at the coral. I flipped the vertical on the photo because it just seemed so weird. The polyps on the top half are in focus (as well as I can focus those darn polyps) and the monti looks surreal. It literally looks as if I put it in a big blur but that picture is my best focus. I have been hesitant about posting this picture because it is so strange looking but I will post more with different views as well of this monti. If you are curious, this was shot with a Sony A7riii with a Sony 90 mm 2.8 macro G lens, ISO 800, shutter speed 1/60, f8.

coral-6.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A different color of monti. When I first got it, it had blues in the base color. I put it in high light and it became pretty much all green although you may still see some hint of blue. I have just moved it into shade and will wait to see if it undergoes a color shift. It is much more luminescent than what I remember of the reverse sunset monti or grinch monti. I am not sure exactly what type of monti it is quite yet either.

coral-7.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A different color of monti. When I first got it, it had blues in the base color. I put it in high light and it became pretty much all green although you may still see some hint of blue. I have just moved it into shade and will wait to see if it undergoes a color shift. It is much more luminescent than what I remember of the reverse sunset monti or grinch monti. I am not sure exactly what type of monti it is quite yet either.

coral-7.jpg

Very nice, I love montis. :)

Goubli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchguy, I feel compelled to write to you given the recent events. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your precious animals that you so diligently cared for all that time. I do take solace in the fact that your home and other material items were not lost in the tragic fires. Honestly, I am not even sure a generator would have saved everything given the fact you had zero access to the house. As for your precious wrasses, you should take pride that they were able to live a relatively stressless life by being well fed and not having to escape predation.

I have been a hobbyist for decades and have had my own share of disasters. Once the initial shock is gone I have always had the ability and experience to improve upon the prior tank/system. I think the more difficult thing, for me, is reacquiring the pieces and having to wait for everything to stabilize and grow.

I once took a break of almost 8 years because I refused to move a reef across state lines after doing it once without losing any livestock. But, as you know, once you have had success in this hobby it is impossible to stay out forever.

I mention this to you because as I was deciding to set up a new system I was in the process of determining what type of set up to do. I had never attempted SPS, partially due to financial limitations when I was younger, but mostly because I enjoyed watching the relaxing flowing nature of leathers and LPS. My eyes opened up to the possibilities of SPS due to your thread.

Your efforts to post pictures of your collection wowed me as the stuff I’d seen in stores didn’t compare. I have also never trusted the pictures I’d seen online due to saturation bumping in photo editing. As an avid photographer myself, I know the “tricks” people can play and so I have always admired your full disclosure concerning your lighting and post production. I fully agree with making the best efforts to render the photo as close to what it appears to the eye. Otherwise, people can get discouraged they cannot achieve images they see online.

I’d also like to say that I appreciate your time in explaining your own methods while still being careful about advice, because you are correct that all systems are different. This is my first venture into SPS and overall I’d say I’m having pretty good success. I have always been hesitant to seek out and pay for these exorbatent priced corals because I know I could easily lose them until I gain more experience. But when I come into your thread and see your photos it makes me want to try them! If you had quit the hobby for a while I certainly would understand why, but this forum and website would miss not only your expertise and photos, but someone who has always come across as humble, passionate, and knowledgeable.

It had been a while since I’d checked this thread, but since I picked up a few pieces last weekend in San Diego I decided to get back on the forums and see if I could improve my colorations. That’s when I saw the bad news and then the news you were slowly restarting.

I was kind of hoping I’d be able to convince you to start your next system with a flat front tank so you would be able to enjoy the hobby of photographing corals even more, but I may be too late for that! LOL

You have at least inspired one seasoned reefer to attempt SPS, and I’m sure countless more. I wish you the best of success on the new system and hope to follow along and pick up nuggets of wisdom as you drop them. I live in AZ and perhaps one day our paths will cross and we can chat corals, or once you grow out some major colonies again I can get an unknown frag from your tank and call it a “watchguy’s (whatever you want to name it)”. You’ve certainly earned a reputation strong enough to do so.

Happy Reefing!

Steve

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchguy, I feel compelled to write to you given the recent events. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your precious animals that you so diligently cared for all that time. I do take solace in the fact that your home and other material items were not lost in the tragic fires. Honestly, I am not even sure a generator would have saved everything given the fact you had zero access to the house. As for your precious wrasses, you should take pride that they were able to live a relatively stressless life by being well fed and not having to escape predation.

I have been a hobbyist for decades and have had my own share of disasters. Once the initial shock is gone I have always had the ability and experience to improve upon the prior tank/system. I think the more difficult thing, for me, is reacquiring the pieces and having to wait for everything to stabilize and grow.

I once took a break of almost 8 years because I refused to move a reef across state lines after doing it once without losing any livestock. But, as you know, once you have had success in this hobby it is impossible to stay out forever.

I mention this to you because as I was deciding to set up a new system I was in the process of determining what type of set up to do. I had never attempted SPS, partially due to financial limitations when I was younger, but mostly because I enjoyed watching the relaxing flowing nature of leathers and LPS. My eyes opened up to the possibilities of SPS due to your thread.

Your efforts to post pictures of your collection wowed me as the stuff I’d seen in stores didn’t compare. I have also never trusted the pictures I’d seen online due to saturation bumping in photo editing. As an avid photographer myself, I know the “tricks” people can play and so I have always admired your full disclosure concerning your lighting and post production. I fully agree with making the best efforts to render the photo as close to what it appears to the eye. Otherwise, people can get discouraged they cannot achieve images they see online.

I’d also like to say that I appreciate your time in explaining your own methods while still being careful about advice, because you are correct that all systems are different. This is my first venture into SPS and overall I’d say I’m having pretty good success. I have always been hesitant to seek out and pay for these exorbatent priced corals because I know I could easily lose them until I gain more experience. But when I come into your thread and see your photos it makes me want to try them! If you had quit the hobby for a while I certainly would understand why, but this forum and website would miss not only your expertise and photos, but someone who has always come across as humble, passionate, and knowledgeable.

It had been a while since I’d checked this thread, but since I picked up a few pieces last weekend in San Diego I decided to get back on the forums and see if I could improve my colorations. That’s when I saw the bad news and then the news you were slowly restarting.

I was kind of hoping I’d be able to convince you to start your next system with a flat front tank so you would be able to enjoy the hobby of photographing corals even more, but I may be too late for that! LOL

You have at least inspired one seasoned reefer to attempt SPS, and I’m sure countless more. I wish you the best of success on the new system and hope to follow along and pick up nuggets of wisdom as you drop them. I live in AZ and perhaps one day our paths will cross and we can chat corals, or once you grow out some major colonies again I can get an unknown frag from your tank and call it a “watchguy’s (whatever you want to name it)”. You’ve certainly earned a reputation strong enough to do so.

Happy Reefing!

Steve

What kind and wonderful comments, Steve. I am touched and a little overwhelmed.

No flat tank yet. Considering a move, so maybe not so far down the road for a new tank.

Photos are one of my favorite parts of the hobby. I wish I was better at them. But I keep learning new stuff along the way, so I am enjoying the journey. Thank you for your encouragement.

Hope no one gives me too much flak about all my new lps

A really pretty chalice although it is really small still, Big R Gumdrop echinata. Somehow he sent me one with not so many colors but hopefully more colors will pop out.

I was able to save this colony somehow. Well actually it was just a junk that survived and it is now starting to regain some colors. Z's Paradise

An oldie but pretty, Orange Sherbert Chalice

1.jpg

Z's Pink Granulosa, a friend was kind enough to give me a frag

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, Mark! Keep on going! You have a whole community rooting for you!

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice granulosa. Need to add that to my list.
It’s remarkably pretty
Welcome back.
Thank you. Working on my return.
Looking good, Mark! Keep on going! You have a whole community rooting for you!
Thank you. Definitely plan on keeping at it.

Most of what I have are baby pieces but what a delight to have pretty frags regardless of how big or small. I have had so much help from fellow reefers willing to either sell or share frags with me. It has been quite an experience.

Although it may not look like it, I have quite a few SPS but any blank location that I could, I glued a disk of LPS. Most of these disks are 2 or 3 inches wide and

I really like blastos, so here are a few
coral-10.jpg

This is a incredibly bright pink watermelon that I like a lot

coral-9.jpg

I thought I was purchasing one whole iron man blast0 but what I got was a 1/4 of one. A little surprising but still happy to have it. You can see a couple more blastos on the lower left as well

coral-8.jpg

OP
OP
watchguy123

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more to share

A gift from a friend, unnamed

coral-5.jpg

Need to get confirmation after some confusion, but I believe this is RR USA Wolverine. The friend that shared it with me is confirming, he got confused between a couple of his frags.

coral-11.jpg

This is a Vivid's pink bobbie (sic) chalice that is incredibly pink with very pale eyes. I have it in a fair amount of intense light and so although the pink is cool, I wish the eyes were more vibrant. I have another small pink bobbie (sic) chalice piece that is in shade and the opposite result, vivid eyes and much darker pink body. That one is in a corner under a ledge and I'm not sure that I can really get a good picture of it though. The most interesting thing about the chalice pictured below is that it is not attached to my rock work. I started it on a disk and I originally glued the bottom of the disk to the rock work but as the chalice grew over the disk ledge, I periodically lift the chalice and it doesn't stay attached to the rock work. If I were to forget to lift the chalice, it would ultimately attach to the rock which would be bad as far as I am concerned. I like my SPS to encrust on the rock but not LPS. I should also add that the little sps frag on the lower left, is PC Superman.

coral-13.jpg

The picture below in the very center is an unnamed frag that really has some potential. Unfortunately, I have seen my fair share of "potential" frags ultimately fizzle. In the meantime, I am optimistic about it. You can get a sense of how many LPS frags and colonies that I have spread around my SPS. As the SPS get bigger, undoubtedly some rearranging will be necessary with those LPS. And although that chalice looks like it is attached to the rock work, I can lift it up and off which I actually do regularly.

coral-14.jpg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back