Water Change and Dosing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iodine and lithium levels are to high in the reef tank.

Li 669.50 μg/l

I 677.20 μg/l

Triton recommends 4 - 15% weekly water changes with "Pure Salt".

Should I stop dosing Elementz for the 4 weeks?

Gene

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing water changes now, and with what mix?

Are you dosing iodine?

Changes with most mixes will lower those, especially the iodine.

No iodine dosing. I'm dosing BRS 2 part.

I switched salts from Crystal Seas Bioassay to Tropic Marine Pro.

I rebuilt my entire sump system to the Triton specifications.

I ordered the Pure salt for the water changes and Triton Elementz.

The new tank ordered is a Reef Savvy 2'x 2' x 4' and will be minimalist aquascaping.

Gene

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iodine and lithium levels are to high in the reef tank.

Li 669.50 μg/l

I 677.20 μg/l

Triton recommends 4 - 15% weekly water changes with "Pure Salt".

Should I stop dosing Elementz for the 4 weeks?

Gene

The base elementz are basically two part as well as other elements so if you didn't does them for 4 weeks your alk calcium and other things would drop. I could be wrong but I would think you would do as triton instructs and continue dosing the amount needed to maintain an alk of 8. Please please let us know if this is not correct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base elementz are basically two part as well as other elements so if you didn't does them for 4 weeks your alk calcium and other things would drop. I could be wrong but I would think you would do as triton instructs and continue dosing the amount needed to maintain an alk of 8. Please please let us know if this is not correct.

Thanks Keith. I guess the instructions would say to stop dosing with the water changes if we were supposed to.

Gene

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water changes do you do now?

No more water changes Randy.
I'm going to try 100% Triton method but I'm going to do the 4 - 15% recommended changes with Pure. I'll send out another sample after the water changes and readjust the parameters.
I'm still having trouble pinning down how much water is in my system for correcting the elements. I'll try just using the Triton products to minimize the variables with other products.

Gene

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more water changes Randy.
I'm going to try 100% Triton method but I'm going to do the 4 - 15% recommended changes with Pure. I'll send out another sample after the water changes and readjust the parameters.
I'm still having trouble pinning down how much water is in my system for correcting the elements. I'll try just using the Triton products to minimize the variables with other products.

Gene

FWIW, 4 x 15% changes with any salt isn't going to bring either the lithium or the iodine to natural levels. :)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, 4 x 15% changes with any salt isn't going to bring either the lithium or the iodine to natural levels. :)

I was wanting to know about that as well. If you're way out of line with something and you do 4 15% water changes it's about the same as doing 1 50% change so unless you are off by double the target number you could still be a long way from your goal. There would be even less ground gained if the salt you are using for the water change had any of what you were trying to reduce in it. Pure isn't really practical for the water changes because of the cost at around $50 for 13 gallons of water. It would cost me with a 180 system about $400 (2 buckets per water change) to do 4 15% water changes. If I got the math wrong please let me know.

acromike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow if that is the cost of Pure it will be restricted to the richer hobbiests. Hedgedrew is doing water testing. I am a RC user but might consider using IO. I like the triton concept however, I dont want to remove my calcium reactor.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back