Water change idea... Gimmicky or Innovative?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sitting here thinking about ways to make water changes easier, and I had this idea which could possibly work for smaller tanks (thinking 50 gallons or so).

What if a 5 gallon bucket was plumbed in via a manifold (specifically putting hoses into the lid using bulk heads), then that 5 gallon bucket would serve as a "water change reservoir." Each week the bucket could be disconnected, dumped and new saltwater mixed there then reattached. Thoughts? Too gimmicky? Too much effort for too little benefit? I'm not sure it's a good idea...just thought it was a creative moment that I wanted to bounce off of you guys.:D :D

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting idea, if I understand it properly. So this five gallons of saltwater would be part of the total volume, and water would be constantly passing through this bucket. When you're ready for a water change, disconnect and dump this bucket and replace with new saltwater. I like it but I'm scratching my head to figure out how the plumbing would work.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I incorporated a similar idea. I have a 50 gallon container the is inline with my basement filtration. I plumbed a by pass around it and whenever I want to do a water change I bypass the container, turn a valve and drain it down my drain. Then have gravity fed fresh saltwater plumbed down to the 50 gallon container. Once full of fresh water turn valves again and it is back in line with the system.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting idea, if I understand it properly. So this five gallons of saltwater would be part of the total volume, and water would be constantly passing through this bucket. When you're ready for a water change, disconnect and dump this bucket and replace with new saltwater. I like it but I'm scratching my head to figure out how the plumbing would work.
Ok, so like having another sump that can be removed and replaced with fresh sump. I get it now.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but may only be feasible for those with a basement sump or extra room to fit the 5 gallon bucket.

you could maybe 1 up the idea and add a light or something to the bucket so some algae will grow on the sides, then when you dump it you can scrub off the sides as sort of a poor man's version of an algae scrubber.

U

User1

View Badges
Anything inline could do this. I've thought about this a couple times using three 20 gallon containers for an isolated sump. Could take one off line with valves, mark water level, drain, rinse if / when needed, replace water, open valve, and no one would know. It isn't your bucket idea but you just connect a hose and run to drain.

I've not found the containers at a reasonable cost will more than likely just build a wagon, use RV water storage containers, and have one hold the new saltwater, one empty to hold exported tank water. Simple as mixing water. Wheel into house. Toss in pump with hose into empty container until full. Then swap pump to new water and hose into tank. In and out in less than 5 minutes. Wheel out into garage and be done.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been incorporated into some older builds using an extra tank plumbed into the system. Just shut valves, drain, close valves and fill. I would use the extra as a settling tank after the overflow, before the sump. That way when you empty it you also export a lot of detritus.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use my 10g RODI ato tote for water changes. Lol. I fill it up add salt mix then lift the sensor up to add the saltwater via the pump. Shop vac it out and refill with RODI for top off water.

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Sitting here thinking about ways to make water changes easier, and I had this idea which could possibly work for smaller tanks (thinking 50 gallons or so).

What if a 5 gallon bucket was plumbed in via a manifold (specifically putting hoses into the lid using bulk heads), then that 5 gallon bucket would serve as a "water change reservoir." Each week the bucket could be disconnected, dumped and new saltwater mixed there then reattached. Thoughts? Too gimmicky? Too much effort for too little benefit? I'm not sure it's a good idea...just thought it was a creative moment that I wanted to bounce off of you guys.:D :D
I actually thought about something like this, a 5 gallon bucket attached to a timer with a pump one side, and another on the other side.
Once a week, the pump on the left bucket would take 1-2 gallons out, and then the other would put 1-2 gallons of clean water in.
Then you would just empty out the dirty water bucket and refill the clean water bucket.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah. My basic idea is to have it plumbed in similar to a reactor (just without the media). I suppose it could double as a refugium too (or pretty much anything else) as long as the water volume stays at around 10% of the tank volume.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My basement sump system consistent of a 29g , and a 125. Thevbean animal drains empty into the 29, which drains into thev125 via two bulkheads near the top. This gives me a 28g capacity for water change - I turn return pump off, open a drain at the bottom of the 29 that goes to s utility sink in the next room. Once empty, I close valve, then refil via a remote control pump hardpiunbed in my water station to the 29. Once it fills to the mark, turn off refill pump, turn on return pump. Whole 15% WC takes 8 minutes.

I have a small manifold that pumps water from the first chamber of the 125 (25 gallons) up to thev29g ‘WC’ tank. While the WC tank is draining, I can pump 15 gallons from the first chamber into it, getting a 43g WC. When I refill, I just let the WC tank overflow into the first 125 chamber until it comes to the top of the baffle.

BFDC3BA0-7EDF-49AB-8051-1CD19AE8DE76.jpeg
AD5659EA-CB8B-4E63-824A-B3734BCF5185.png
D3ECE0A2-C623-49AB-A90F-71E5343FBA6E.jpeg
2419C9AB-5871-4598-AE2D-4DC5600AB4BC.jpeg

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually working on using Neptune Dos with three containers, First 20 gallon brute container (holding RODI water that will feed the ATO reservoir via 1/4” RODI tubing and a second 1/2” tube connecting the second brute container) that will be plumbed using unions connecting the second brute container that will hold freshly mixed saltwater with a wave pump and heater and then have a 5 gallon bucket that will collect about 2 gallons every other day to put less stress on the Neptune Dos and run for 1.5 to 2 hours to drain and then using second pump on the Dos to fill it back with the freshly mixed saltwater. Note while I drain and replenish the sump the ATO will be disabled so the salinity is not touched. While draining my return area will drop maybe by a inch or inch and a half that will not change anything in my skimmer section and or will not affect my return pump to run dry as there will be enough for it to feed back to the display tank. While the water change will be done during the day time I can easily come home and replace the 5 gallons bucket or empty it out so I don’t have to over load or pick up heavy bucket. The drain will be put from the skimmer area and the fresh water will be added to the return area. What do you guys think of this setup?? Will this work?? Any comments or suggestions will help me as I am still in the process of planning phase and will most likely pull the plug during the upcoming holidays. I will definitely share the pictures once done.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I actually thought about something like this, a 5 gallon bucket attached to a timer with a pump one side, and another on the other side.
Once a week, the pump on the left bucket would take 1-2 gallons out, and then the other would put 1-2 gallons of clean water in.
Then you would just empty out the dirty water bucket and refill the clean water bucket.
Like a super- budget genesis renew AWC

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually working on using Neptune Dos with three containers, First 20 gallon brute container (holding RODI water that will feed the ATO reservoir via 1/4” RODI tubing and a second 1/2” tube connecting the second brute container) that will be plumbed using unions connecting the second brute container that will hold freshly mixed saltwater with a wave pump and heater and then have a 5 gallon bucket that will collect about 2 gallons every other day to put less stress on the Neptune Dos and run for 1.5 to 2 hours to drain and then using second pump on the Dos to fill it back with the freshly mixed saltwater. Note while I drain and replenish the sump the ATO will be disabled so the salinity is not touched. While draining my return area will drop maybe by a inch or inch and a half that will not change anything in my skimmer section and or will not affect my return pump to run dry as there will be enough for it to feed back to the display tank. While the water change will be done during the day time I can easily come home and replace the 5 gallons bucket or empty it out so I don’t have to over load or pick up heavy bucket. The drain will be put from the skimmer area and the fresh water will be added to the return area. What do you guys think of this setup?? Will this work?? Any comments or suggestions will help me as I am still in the process of planning phase and will most likely pull the plug during the upcoming holidays. I will definitely share the pictures once done.
There’s s YouTube video from like 6 years ago that’s s DIY genesis renew AWC. Sounds like you might like to view it...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back