Water change if nitrates are low

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75 gallon soft coral tank with 9 fish been running for about 1 year & 3 months. Ever 2-3 weeks I test nitrates with 2 different API test kit and it reads 0 for the longest only done about 4 water changes. No problem with the tank, My question is do I still need to do more water change more consistent if my nitrates are very low???
*I have Cheato in Refugium light is only running three hours a day
* filter floss
* protein skimmer
*live rock

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75 gallon soft coral tank with 9 fish been running for about 1 year & 3 months. Ever 2-3 weeks I test nitrates with 2 different API test kit and it reads 0 for the longest only done about 4 water changes. No problem with the tank, My question is do I still need to do more water change more consistent if my nitrates are very low???
* filter floss
* protein skimmer
*live rock
If tests are reading low/zero and the corals look happy, save some money and time on postponing the wc’s!

hotbiscuits84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are already at 0 so if you are doing water changes solely based off of that, then there's no need, assuming your test kit is accurate.

I'd also look into what your phosphate level is as well, as well as consider if you are using water changes as a way to replenish your trace elements/alk/Ca if you're not already supplementing those.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are already at 0 so if you are doing water changes solely based off of that, then there's no need, assuming your test kit is accurate.

I'd also look into what your phosphate level is as well, as well as consider if you are using water changes as a way to replenish your trace elements/alk/Ca if you're not already supplementing those.
I have never dosed, but you think all for reef is good for a soft coral tank, or maybe a 5 gallon water change a month ?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* filter floss
* protein skimmer
*live rock
Water changes remove a lot of stuff from the tank that you cannot measure.

Don't rely just on Nitrate and Phosphate levels as a metric to determine the need for water changes.

Have you had an ICP test done?

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes remove a lot of stuff from the tank that you cannot measure.

Don't rely just on Nitrate and Phosphate levels as a metric to determine the need for water changes.

Have you had an ICP test done?
No I haven’t, but something to think about

hotbiscuits84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for anything else besides NO3? If not, then all for reef it might not be the best choice since it raises the parameters of so many things.

If you can do closer to 7.5 gal, a 10% water change, that would probably be best. It's a simple solution that will bring all your elements closer to ranges it should be at, short of phosphate and nitrates. If you need to raise the levels of those two, then you can always dose for that or feed more.

OP
OP
Lex_510

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing for anything else besides NO3? If not, then all for reef it might not be the best choice since it raises the parameters of so many things.

If you can do closer to 7.5 gal, a 10% water change, that would probably be best. It's a simple solution that will bring all your elements closer to ranges it should be at, short of phosphate and nitrates. If you need to raise the levels of those two, then you can always dose for that or feed more.
I’ve only tested alk, calcium, PH, And mag with salifert test and right on the middle like about 2 months ago. And the 10% water change you think once a month or depending on test results

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back