Water change weekend?!?!?!

How many gallons are you planning on changing out?

• Total voters

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really impressed with the automation you all have done and those who change three times a week.
I live on a fourth floor beachfront condo and have the fish store change 40/50 gallons of my 93 gallon upper tank every month on my Tank set up in October 2020

not sure I have any options of doing it myself.

Any ideas
Refer my post #37 ... Rapunzel your hose down to ground... roll it back up and put away so neighbors don't complain...

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers! It's water change weekend. How many of you are planning on doing a water change? What's the volume of the tank you're changing out the water on? Percentage water change? Do you haul buckets around or do you have something fancy to help streamline the process?

Bonus points: Post a pic of your water mixing station/equipment and the tank(s) you're working on.

waterchange.jpg

Photo Credit: https://reefbuilders.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/01/waterchange.jpg
No water change this weekend! But next....

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

mauisue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work SMART not hard!!! and inexpensive... and FAST!!! neither automated or buckets.... Extended siphon hose with more lengths of hose from local home improvement store...

When I'm doing water change or water change with sand cleaning, I mark my water removal level on tank front with magnetized something, then GO... water drains right up the wide siphon, out the tank, out the door, across the back of house, into side yard, over by fence.... No backbreaking water lugging!!! Here are my siphons, regular length hose and L.O.N.G. length hose (but only seeing tiny bit of L.O.N.G. hose) When stored in bin they roll inside 58Q/55L storage bin (23"x16"x12") If getting hoses to extend yours, get thickwall tubing to reduce kinks and keep flow FLOWING ;)
Thanks
Refer my post #37 ... Rapunzel your hose down to ground... roll it back up and put away so neighbors don't complain...
thanks

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated 20g WC tank on its own closed loop to my sump. When ready for a WC, I shut down the loop pump which takes the tank offline. Turn a valve and a separate hose drains the WC tank to my back yard. When empty, refill with RO, add salt, bring to temp, and when mixed and at correct salinity, I restart the loop pump and I am done. No more hauling buckets for me.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure exactly what you’re asking but I store my freshwater in the brute can and I pour in like 10 gallons of my tap water with some prime (hot water) and then my waters good and temp ready for big WC across several tanks. I’m going to get a second brute so I don’t have to keep swapping one from fresh to salt. Gonna need it since I’m planning on a few more salt tanks now that I’ve got my feet wet.
I'm not sure why that first part posted...I was going to ask a question about doing water changes on a freshwater tank using remineralized rodi, but then I lost interest in the question tbh... But now you've piqued my interest. So you're using rodi water and tap water for your freshwater?

Rmorrison23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really impressed with the automation you all have done and those who change three times a week.
I live on a fourth floor beachfront condo and have the fish store change 40/50 gallons of my 93 gallon upper tank every month on my Tank set up in October 2020

not sure I have any options of doing it myself.

Any ideas
You can tap the drain line from a dos pump to a sink drain or even your laundry drain, set up a mixing vessel somewhere to pump the nsw into your sump. Mine drains to my laundry room behind where my tank is, mixing station is set up in laundry room. My rodi even feeds off the water line to my washing machine with a splitter.

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why that first part posted...I was going to ask a question about doing water changes on a freshwater tank using remineralized rodi, but then I lost interest in the question tbh... But now you've piqued my interest. So you're using rodi water and tap water for your freshwater?
Yep roughly 1 part tap water 3 parts rodi my tap water comes out at like 8.2-8.4 ph with a lot of dissolved solids. After I mix it it’s around 7.5 and not so dang hard

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan a 15-20 gallon change for my 75 gallon tank. It's not automated, but is streamlined for the space I have. We built an 8 foot cabinet in the living room nook where there was old plumbing for a bar sink. So I have a small sink with an RODI system in the cabinet below. The water empties into a 20 gallon tank in one of the other cabinets that has a small pump in it. I can siphon out directly into the sink and then plug the pump in and pump water into the tank very easily. It would be great to have a fish room and larger holding tanks, but this system works great and sure beats changing 5 gallons at a time manually like I did in the last house. The only thing I'm missing is room for a second holding tank for freshwater. I have to use up all the salt water quickly so I have fresh for daily top offs.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 20% every 2 weeks on my 20 gallon cube
With 2 gallon buckets for dirty water and 5 gallon with fresh saltwater

MattW33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up an AWC recently, mixing station still needs a bit of work, 7.5 L a day on a 500 L system. Really liking not having to lug Jerry cans around.

IMG_20210321_161619_1 - Copy (5).jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back