Water Change: What's the average time it takes you? Tips and tricks...

What is the average time to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude mixing the salt)

• 30 min or less

Votes: 465 45.6%
  • 1 hour or less

Votes: 345 33.8%
  • 2 hours or less

Votes: 133 13.0%
  • 3 hours or less

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • 5 hours or less

Votes: 11 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 4.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquarium Water Change (revhtree's definition) - Making your aquarium water better by removing some nasty stuff from your water and replenishing it with some good stuff. Your corals and fish will really like it. :p

Now that we know it helps by removing bad stuff and adding good stuff let's talk about how long it takes you and any tips and tricks you might have!

1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?

From @saltyhog: "My home made method for attaching the clear tubing that sends new salt water to the tank."
Water change fitting.jpg

Jvalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Water Change (revhtree's definition) - Making your aquarium water better by removing some nasty stuff from your water and replenishing it with some good stuff. Your corals and fish will really like it. :p

Hi I change 5 gallons a day on my 200 gallon. It takes about 10 min to change filter sock and do 5 gallon water change. This is daily for me thx
Now that we know it helps by removing bad stuff and adding good stuff let's talk about how long it takes you and any tips and tricks you might have!

1. What is the average time it takes you to complete a water change in your reef aquarium? (exclude the salt mixing time)

2. How many gallons of water do you change normally and how many gallons is your total aquarium volume?

3. What are some tips and tricks you have learned over the years to make changing out your water easier and faster?

From @saltyhog: "My home made method for attaching the clear tubing that sends new salt water to the tank."
Water change fitting.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-6 gallons a day manually. 1-1.5% of a 400 gallon system.
I pump 4-6 gallons to the sink after unplugging my ATO pump.
Then I move the pump to my NSW tank and plug it into my ATO controller. It fills the system back up. I then make everything normal and put the stuff away until tomorrow.
Takes about 10 minutes.
I need to go do it now.

Last edited:

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 gallon water change takes under 30 minutes. I pump out directly into the drain with my main return pump with the opening of a valve. I have done the math and have a tape mark on the sump to indicate where to stop the pump out and it only takes a few minutes. Then I open a valve to pump the fresh saltwater into the tanks turn the main return on and its done.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Approximately an hour and we need to consider when answering how much time as in my case- we are talking a bout a 660g tank. When 40 gallons are removed, it looks like I took nothing out.

I change approximately 40 gallons starting with sand bed and then water removal. I have a small mark which notates when I have reached 40 gallons

I have saltwater premixed at temperature, and once water is removed, I place a sicce 3.0 pump and hose into the Brute can and pump new water in which enter tank quickly.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my setup I can do 50 gallon water change in about five minutes. I have a 50 gallon rotomold container plumbed into my stern that I can bye pass and take offline. Turn of a valve and that drains 50 gallons of old water down my basement drain. Then if I go upstairs and turn on more valve I get 50 gallons of brand new water that gravity drains back into that container. 50 gallon water change done!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me about 15 minutes to do a 25 gallon water change on my 72x24 tank....approximate total water volume of 160 gallons.

I have my mixing station plumbed through the wall under the sink in my basement den/mancave. With about 15' of clear flexible tubing and the home made attachment in the picture above, it only takes a few minutes to pump the water in. Most of my time is spent removing the water and pumping it through a water hose in to the woods behind the house.

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes me about 15 seconds. Have 85 gallon system that i change out 9 gallons every sunday. Just open Apex fusion hit feed cycle D and it changes out the 9 gallons over the next 24 hours.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10-20 Minutes

10-25 Gallons

I just change water. I don't do any vacuuming or anything anymore. Every time I try, I break Corals.
I keep ASW mixed in a 44 Gallon Brute with a glass top to limit evaporation. A pump delivers that water to the sump when I need it. I simply drain out water using a five gallon bucket. I change 2-5 buckets per week(ish) depending on what is going on in the tank. When the Brute is empty, I run RODI water to fill it until it is cut off by a float switch and the add ASW mix. A 50 gallon bag of Fritz RPM gets the salinity to around 35ppt. I add a little more salt or a little more water as needed to adjust to exactly 35ppt and I'm ready again. I mix ASW about every 3-5 weeks.

Note: I only run the circulation pump in the Brute to initially mix the water and for a few minutes prior to adding water after it has sat for a week. I've found that the running the pump all the time heats the water too much and seems to lower the alkalinity over time.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWC - 2.5-3 gallons daily on a 120.
12:00am remove ~1.25-1.5 gallons, then refill. Then repeat at 12:00pm.
GHL Maxi Doser that is P4 controlled, with 2 floats.
GHL 2.1 Doser used for ATO.
Life is simple!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turn a few valves, add in some salt and flip a few switches. This does take a few days to get everything mixed and stuff. There is probably 90 seconds worth of work but it takes about 5 minutes for the water to pump once everything is mixed. The worst part is carrying the boxes of salt downstairs - I usually buy between 8 and 20 at a time depending on the sale price.

I mix in increments of 44g.

Tips would be to get some some strong pumps (used PanWorld/Blueline for external, or Mag Drive for submerged), lots of tubing (100 feet of vinyl on amazon for $50), figure out your "mix" with additives and all of that and write it down. Then repeat.

Also, buying mixing stations from people getting out of the hobby is a cheap and effective way to make this easy.

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other. Excluding mixing the salt, it takes zero time.
Apex AWC performs a 4G water change every night on my 200G RSR 750.

I mix 30G of SW once a week, and like to flush and clean the SW storage tank at that point. The whole procedure takes about 30 minutes. The tank starts to smell a little gamey if I don't clean between mixings.

U

User1

View Badges
Lol - "other".

Depends how big of a mess I make :D Seriously though for me it depends on if I spill water or how big of a mess I actually make during the water change. If it goes as what I have visioned in my head then it is 20 minutes. However, I'm usually at the hour mark because I've spilled water somehow, somewhere, and need to clean it up. Some areas are more difficult to clean.

You know it is bad when your better half says to you - you know, there has to be an easier way to do that task...

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change takes me 10-15 minutes to complete. Our mixing station is plumbed into the sump and the sump is plumbed into drains so all I have to do is turn a couple valves to drain the sump and then refill. The sump holds about 25g of water and total volume is right at 150g for the system. Because of the plumbing, it takes about 7 minutes for the sump to drain completely so that is the bulk of the time. Depending on the water level in the mixing station, the sump can be refilled via gravity or via pump at the flip of a switch.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically a little over an hour but I’m getting an AWC at some point so hopefully no time at all

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo... it should take less than 30 mins... however, it takes me a lot long because I get distracted.

Typical water change is as followed

90 gallons of water: 9-14 gallons of water changed every week.

I have a 7 gallon jug and I use a manual siphon to remove the water.

Start the siphon and suction the top layer of sand
sand clogs the filter on siphon, stop siphon to remove sand, start siphon over
siphon wont start over still clogged, clear and try again, okay now working start siphon again, suction rest of sand
...did I turn off the ATO (no... I never do...)
what is that fish doing, why is he acting that way
is it "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
Better google it. Googling...googling..googling
OMG I forgot to stop the siphon, water on floor.
Stop siphon carry 7 gallon jug (58 pounds) outside and dump in yard
Start siphon again, balance precariously under power head
back to google... doesn't seem to be "insert some deadly fish related disease here"
is that bubble algae? Where did that come from? I wonder if I can get it really quick... aww man I popped the bubbles
Jugs not entirely full... but I spilled some water on the floor last time so better stop now.
Stop siphon carry 6 gallon jug (50 pounds) outside and dump in yard.
Go down to basement, fill clean 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and swear I'm going to go back to the gym soon
dump into the sump... I can't lift that up enough to dump in tank... turn on pump
...did I turn off the skimmer (no... skimmer overflowing)
Go down to basement, fill 7 gallon jug with saltwater from mixing station and carry upstairs.
Stop halfway up to breath heavily and debate the cost to have pump and hose bring the water up for me
dump into the sump
Stare at tank for 20 minuets until my husband walks by and asks why the floor is wet
Wipe up floor go to bed

...3 days later... did I turn the ATO and skimmer back on

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine takes literally 3 seconds. That’s how long I hold the button that is wired into breakout box for apex. And I walk away. It took longer to write this post. 50 gallons in a 250 gallon system

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back