Water changes, do you love them or hate them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this may be an interesting topic to talk about.
Water changes, do you love them or hate them?
I personally love them as I find them to be extremely therapeutic most of the time. Especially on my SPS tank, watching it go from looking all dirty to being a nice clean tank with no algae on the glass or sand is really rewarding. I dislike them when it comes to having to replace sand (I think I’m done replacing it as it’s at a fineness and got enough varied sizes in it), getting the fish out and back in is a pain. But again it’s all worth it for the outcome! And rescaping the tank is a dream. I also find I get better PE from all my coral after a water change.

So what do you think about water changes?

And since I don’t know what photo to put here, here’s a photo of the improved PE I got after my last water change, this hammer is Atleast 6 heads if not 8 definitely passing the tennis ball size - hoping to get it to football size!
00D5C32A-FD6E-48FB-90A1-DA6F0D2C536E.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they are therapeutic. One of my favorite times of the week is water change and testing day. I will put on music or a reefing podcast and just enjoy the time with my tanks.

I will usually turn the flow off and inspect everything. Sometimes I get inspired to take pictures like this one from last week!

20221112_225951.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they are therapeutic. One of my favorite times of the week is water change and testing day. I will put on music or a reefing podcast and just enjoy the time with my tanks.

I will usually turn the flow off and inspect everything. Sometimes I get inspired to take pictures like this one from last week!

20221112_225951.jpg
I love the top down views! My newest tank is aiming for that top down view to be the best view.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm envious of some of you. I don't mind a water change when things are going well, gives me time to absorb the goodness of the tank.

More often though I've hated them with a passion. (they're alot better than they used to be from when I first started though and had to deal with water containers glugging away and splish splashing everywhere). Used to be an hour + ordeal for me, but that's come down now that I've streamlined the way I do things.

I appreciate things after though if corals respond well and look happier and so on.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic comes up way too much. I don't water change unless there is an emergency. I dose and I do not want to remove anything from my water column and make it inconsistent. Also, I keep a higher PH and don't want a shift. I've been doing it like this since 2012 and its what works for my tank. You do you.

Last edited:

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20221112_225951.jpg
Wow... That is beautiful! Zoa's don't get harassed by euphyllia? Maybe my sense of depth is off and they're underneath them. Either way... This is an awesome garden!

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheesh .
I dread doing it... But when I do it...it is therapeutic I admit. Kinda weird lol!!!! Great reward at the end.. tank looks great!
Love listening to reef therapy by the late Jake Adams! Too bad. God bless his soul

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t like them. Depending on size of tank they can be expensive And someone made a good point once on another thread….salt is way more expensive than dosing the trace and major elements that water changes replenish. There are a ton of different ways to mitigate water changes while keeping livestock happy. E9C2E0A7-BFCE-40A6-A9C9-BDB3573F6375.jpeg

Last edited:

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont enjoy them but my corals seem to like them. I also do other maintenance while doing my water change.. Kinda like cutting the grass, once its done I can sit back an enjoy how much better it looks. Turn on the tunes and get to it .. I have a 116 gal total system and only change about 8 gals a week. I tried going 2 weeks and corals did not seem to like it..

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely see a change after one is done but they got monotonous after a few years. Heavy buckets, time consuming, ro/di running over and flooding, ect.
I always found ways to shorten it and make them better. I got it down to swapping 12 gallons of water in 5 minutes.
Now I have the auto water change and love it. Just mix water every couple weeks and done.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m firmly in the “it’s therapeutic” camp. Thanks for starting this thread, @i cant think! I honestly wondered if I was the only one who looked forward to weekly maintenance.

Honestly, I’m not sure what the cost-to-benefit ratio is for my tank. It’s a 225g and I only change 15g a week but I realllly look forward to my Saturday morning tank maintenance.

I’ll either play the MTV Classic channel or put on a Premier League match and just get lost in it all. It’s become like meditation for me so I take my time. It’s not unusual for me to spend 90 minutes cleaning the tank, testing the water, changing water, and poking around. I find I personally feel so much better after I’m done.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back