Water changes not replenishing elements

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 20 gallon tank running for a little over half a year. At first, I kinda neglected it, not changing or testing the water often. Now I try to test the water when I can, and change the water weekly. The past two weeks I have done 20% water changes, but my elements have continued to drop. I use Red Sea coral pro salt. I run a skimmer and activated carbon. I’ve started recording everything I do, so I’ll attach a picture of that.

C4A340BA-F59E-4EC0-863D-417662AC9911.jpeg

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks still pretty new. Takes a while for them to settle in and stabilize. Keep up with water changes and it will stabilize another year from now...

OP
OP
ChaseB143

ChaseB143

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it filled with stony coral?
No, it’s mostly zoas, a mushroom, and a leather. I do have two frogspawns, one with four heads and one with almost two. There is also a small acan with around 10 heads.

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow alk at 5.9.......what kind of test kits are you using?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Coral Pro mixes at 11-12 dkh and your reef is at 5.9 dkh? I would think that you are stressing you livestock with every water change. Perhaps start using Blue Bucket (7.5-8.5 dkh) and dose 2 part (or Kalk) to keep up with usage. I like to dose alk/calcium to keep my reef at the same dkh as my salt mix.
Cheers! Mark

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check the refractometer as well. Having a few corals should not leave you with such an alk drop especially if you are using Red Sea pro salt which mixes pretty high. I would also check the alk, Ca, and mg on the salt mix before you do a water change. What test kit are you using? And check expiration on it as well. Looks like you have an imbalance since calcium and mg are still good but alk is seemingly dropping much rapidly. But to narrow it down, we need more info.

Also, why are you dosing vibrant? You have 0 nitrates and phosphates and generally, that is not ideal for coral health as they need these nutrients, especially LPS and softies. Unless you offset a ULNS with aminos and spot feed coral foods, you may be starving them. But I wouldn’t recommend dosing anything like that, but maybe cut back dosing vibrant.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back