Water changes only increasing KH by 0.1

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I’ve done water changes over the course of a couple of days. Reason being, I usually keep my KH between 7.6-8.0. After adding corals I noticed that it started to go down to 7.0
When I’ve done 5L water changes (have 30 litre nano) the KH is only brought up to 7.1 from 7.0. (Ca= 380)
I’ve just recently changed to Redsea salt red bucket.
What is happening here?
I use Hanna checkers. Salt mixed at 25c 1026 salinity.
Should I dose up to 8.0 KH?
Anyone know?
Thanks
Emma.

Last edited:

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I’ve done water changes over the course of a couple of days. Reason being, I usually keep my KH between 7.6-8.0. After adding corals I noticed that it started to go down to 7.0
When I’ve done 5L water changes (have 30 litre nano) the KH is only brought up to 7.1 from 7.0. (Ca= 380)
I’ve just recently changed to Redsea salt red bucket.
What is happening here?
I use Hanna checkers. Salt mixed at 25c 1026 salinity.
Should I dose up to 8.0 KH?
Anyone know?
Thanks
Emma.
Your corals are consuming the alkalinity, you will need to start supplementing it. I use Kent marine superbuffer dkh and just mix it in with my top off water. As you add more coral and your existing coral gets bigger it will consume more. Just remember to make changes slowly

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals are consuming the alkalinity, you will need to start supplementing it. I use Kent marine superbuffer dkh and just mix it in with my top off water. As you add more coral and your existing coral gets bigger it will consume more. Just remember to make changes slowly
Looks like I’ll have to start dosing
There’s only 3 SPS in there though and 1 Acan frag, as well as softies
They can consume this much KH?

Thanks
Emma

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start dosing 2-part, and watch Magnesium levels.
Do you have any Coraline ? It will consume a bunch.
Log all your testing, daily! And Log whatever you do, it’s been my biggest helper, and really a must to calculate consumption week after week..........think long term!

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start dosing 2-part, and watch Magnesium levels.
Do you have any Coraline ? It will consume a bunch.
Log all your testing, daily! And Log whatever you do, it’s been my biggest helper, and really a must to calculate consumption week after week..........think long term!
I have no corraline algae (except for a very small amount on the powerhead)
I’ve been testing KH + Ca daily now for a week+
and I’m noticing that the KH is -ve 0.1/day and calcium -ve 10- 15ppm/day.

I’ve never used 2 part. But I’ve got the Redsea separate supplements (KH, Mg, Ca) which I’d prefer to use in equal parts (KH+CA), as I’d prefer more ‘control’ over the parameters. I will definitely be checking and dosing accordingly on a daily and weekly basis. I’ve not got this far (through all the absolute headaches!) to then get lazy and just dose ‘whatever’ and not test.
I’m surprised how much KH and Ca the tank has used since adding SPS corals about 3 weeks ago!
Ia it ok to use the separate solutions as opposed to 2-part??

Emma

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no corraline algae (except for a very small amount on the powerhead)
I’ve been testing KH + Ca daily now for a week+
and I’m noticing that the KH is -ve 0.1/day and calcium -ve 10- 15ppm/day.

I’ve never used 2 part. But I’ve got the Redsea separate supplements (KH, Mg, Ca) which I’d prefer to use in equal parts (KH+CA), as I’d prefer more ‘control’ over the parameters. I will definitely be checking and dosing accordingly on a daily and weekly basis. I’ve not got this far (through all the absolute headaches!) to then get lazy and just dose ‘whatever’ and not test.
I’m surprised how much KH and Ca the tank has used since adding SPS corals about 3 weeks ago!
Ia it ok to use the separate solutions as opposed to 2-part??

Emma
It should be fine, just make sure to test often but wait a while after dosing to test so you get accurate readings. If you get your magnesium up closer to 1400 your calcium should stay more stable as well.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, two part is good as your calcium is very low as well....

With a tank that small I would also be doing a 10L water change weekly. One of the best parts of having a nano tank is you can simplify many other things by just doing larger regular water changes.

Dosing is good. Think of it as another step up the ladder of success. You only need to dose if your livestock is actually growing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back