Water Changes: What "percentage" makes it worth doing?

What water change "percentage" makes it worth doing?

• 5% - 10%

Votes: 95 9.7%
  • 10% - 20%

Votes: 512 52.0%
  • 20% - 30%

Votes: 232 23.6%
  • 30% - 40%

Votes: 30 3.0%
  • 40% - 50%

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • 50% or more

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • No water change is worth it

Votes: 36 3.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 19 1.9%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 24 2.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dear Abby,

I was told that water changes have a positive effect on my aquarium but what percentage of water should I change to make it worth it?

Sincerely,

Confused Reefer

image via @Reef Hacks and their Exploring Water Changes article.

Reef-Tank-Water-Changes.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only are you removing waste but are replacing other elements with new salt mix water.
Personally I do 10% per week.
Each tank is different as to how much a change will be needed. Every bit helps

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t the frequency of the water changes impact the decision on the quantity of the water change?
I agree 100%.

I'm not sure how to answer because I do a 1.5% water change every day. So to answer the question are we basing it on that percentage every week, every month, every day.....

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 gallon which I do 10% (35gallon) every two weeks and a 200 gallon fowlr that I do a 10% (20 gallon) once a month since the fish are not as sensitive as the corals.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely no one-size-fits-all answer to that. Depends heavily on what you’re supplementing and what you’re removing via nutrient export and coral consumption. Running aggressive carbon dosing, with phosphate removal, and a calcium reactor using coral skeletons will be running out with the bad — in with the good a lot more efficiently than a low tech tank with just rocks, flow, and fish food.

It just depends on the setup and the coral needs.

I may be wrong but I feel like water changes are best used for replacing trace and minor elements, and/or removing large amounts of toxin/contaminant.

Scenario A would depend (again) on how you’re supplementing to begin with, scenario B would obviously be a “bigger is better” situation.

Too many variables.

On my last sps tank with carbon dosing and calcium reactor I did about 10-20% a week, but that was always performed using fresh mixed water replacing what I’d take out in shipping bags. Rarely needed to just “do a water change” for water change purposes alone.

On my present tank, it’s been up for almost 4 months, very few corals, carbon reactor, and large algae turf scrubber. Phosphate stays down around 0-0.1 with 4-5 time a day feedings so I haven’t performed a water change at all yet

tyryfin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lazy and use the APEX DOS to do it for me. I change 5 gallons a day during the over night hours on a 675 gallon tank, works out to about 20% a month. All I do is mix salt once a week. I believe the tank is as stable as it ever has been.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are extremely important … for the first 2 to 3 years a tank is up and running. After that ,it depends on tank size and style. Style meaning how you export nutrients and replace nutrients and major and minor trace. Once the microbiology is established and balanced, and parameters are stable and in target range, there is no need to do water changes when you balance in and out. Of course, if you do continuous auto water changes, thats your thing, which is excellent on smaller tanks.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have somewhere around 100 gallons in my main system, i change 15 gallons at a time but infrequently. my bio load is light and have just a small amount of stony corals. my tank seems to be doing well. my FOWLR system is around 35 gallons and it gets no water changes and it seems to be doing well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back