Water Changes

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this morning and looking for information from the smart people.

What is the max percentage that can be done on a water change? I see people doing 50% changes can it be 75%?

Also how frequent can water changes be conducted. If a tank is suffering higher than preferred levels often water changes are suggested. How frequent can these be daily, every other day, weekly?

Just looking for input from the masses.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical maintenance change is 10% weekly.

With that said, as long as you match parameters(ALK, CAL, MAG, PH, Temp) doing 100% WC isn't out of the question if you need to correct an issue.

If I was having an issue and could match parameters to my tank, I wouldn't be afraid to do 40 to 50% change in a 24H period.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with nitrates in my 120G (figuring 100G of water) so I did a 30G change each day for three days to bring my nitrates down. Nothing “bad” seemed to happen.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical maintenance change is 10% weekly.

With that said, as long as you match parameters(ALK, CAL, MAG, PH, Temp) doing 100% WC isn't out of the question if you need to correct an issue.

If I was having an issue and could match parameters to my tank, I wouldn't be afraid to do 40 to 50% change in a 24H period.
Maybe I am missing something here... lord knows I am not an expert, but...

A mass water change 50% or more... wouldn’t that take you back to having to fully cycle the tank?

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% water change is the max. Lol

I have seen many tank builds which incorporate 100 percent or close to 100 percent water changes on a consistent basis...

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A mass water change 50% or more... wouldn’t that take you back to having to fully cycle the tank?

Biological filter is carried in live rock not so much your water column

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do a 15-20% water change on my 90 but I’ll do a 40%+ occasionally. I just figure doing larger water changes keeps my trace elements more in check. Tank seems to look best after any size water change with no ill affects.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very little bacteria lives within the water column. 99% of them live on the hard surfaces in your tank. Replacing water does nothing to the bacterial populations, which would not cause another cycle.

Typically when cycling a tank, the eventual high nitrates are erased by doing a nearly 100% WC right after it cycles. This is the typical recommendation on tank cycling threads.

Take a look at @brandon429's rip clean threads, they do 100% WC all the time with 0 effect on the inhabitants.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just went from a 120 to a 210 with a new large sump and I used 128 gallons of new water along with the old and coral seem happier lol.

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little bacteria lives within the water column. 99% of them live on the hard surfaces in your tank. Replacing water does nothing to the bacterial populations, which would not cause another cycle.

Typically when cycling a tank, the eventual high nitrates are erased by doing a nearly 100% WC right after it cycles. This is the typical recommendation on tank cycling threads.

Take a look at @brandon429's rip clean threads, they do 100% WC all the time with 0 effect on the inhabitants.
Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back