Water Cloudiness

magiicman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something strange is happening, my tank is in the 7th week and finished the cycling stage. Parameters are Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0 and Nitrate less than 5ppm. My water turns cloudy about 5hours into the darkness and I wakeup its cloudy, but it gets crystal clear about 4 hours after the lights are on. I am not sure what's going, not sure if it's a bacteria bloom or not, because it keeps disappearing during the day, when the lights are on the turns crystal clear so its weird. Anyone ever experience this ? if so how did you solve this problem? Please help, I don't want to push the panic button just, yet I know patience is the key but I have never seen this problem before. Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sound like a bacterial bloom.
Do you have a lot rock or surfaces for the bacteria we want to colonize?
You can try running carbon to filter the water borne bacteria out.
A UV might work but thats prob more than is needed at this point.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s bacteria, it’ll clear up on its own generally within a week or so. You can run a UV sterilizer to get rid of it quicker, but it’s not necessary. I’d also recommend running an air pump if you don’t have a skimmer running, the bacteria can use a lot of oxygen and asphyxiate your tank’s inhabitants, so make sure you’ve got plenty of dissolved oxygen in the water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back