Water for rearing/breeding tanks

  • Thread starter Thread starter Skydvr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Skydvr

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
574
Reaction score
265
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been contemplating setting up some tanks for breeding. I was wondering how necessary it really is to use RO/DI. I’m on well water and my RO waste water comes out at 60TDS, but I have really high CO2 and my RO unit has a rejection ratio of well over 8:1, so making RO/DI isn’t super cost effective.

Since the rearing and breeding tanks won’t be brightly lit and won’t have any coral, I was thinking that RO/DI isn’t really critical. My water is pretty clean to begin with. Is there anything anybody can think of as to why I shouldn’t consider this as an option?
 
I don’t see why you would have to have RO/DI. I ran a reef tank for years on normal tap water and everyone was fine. My clowns spawned in it as well. RO/DI water is always just “better” though you would of course have to use water conditioner
 
No need for water conditioner in my case. Well water, no chlorine or chloramine.
 
I feel you always need RO/DI no matter what.
just my $0.02
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new