Water maintenance hose question.

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy some hose to pump water from my basement to my aquarium upstairs for water changes. Is it worth the extra money to go braided or is clear vinyl good enough? I am going to order it online and just not sure which one I should go with. Braided is about double the cost.

Thanks

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy some hose to pump water from my basement to my aquarium upstairs for water changes. Is it worth the extra money to go braided or is clear vinyl good enough? I am going to order it online and just not sure which one I should go with. Braided is about double the cost.

Thanks
So do you already have the pump?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOTING Submersible Water Pump 1/2 HP Electric Utility Pump, 1860 GPH Sump Pump Submersible Thermoplastic for Swimming Pool Garden Pond Basement Draining with 20ft Long Power Cord https://a.co/d/bKSB5r9

If you use one of these you can use a garden hose or hoses to fill the tank

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how high are you pumping the water? If its too high I think a braided hose would withstand the pressure better

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how high are you pumping the water? If its too high I think a braided hose would withstand the pressure better
I am pumping it roughly 15ft if I include up to the aquarium. I was thinking more along the lines of do I want braided to have structure. Didn't know if others had experience with the vinyl getting kinks.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pumping it roughly 15ft if I include up to the aquarium. I was thinking more along the lines of do I want braided to have structure. Didn't know if others had experience with the vinyl getting kinks.
Well 15ft isnt too bad you should be able to get away with just regular vinyl.

Is it a straight shot from the basement to the tank or you do need to take turns? They do tend to kink and restrict the flow if the turn is too sharp.You could install some anti kink devise on the pipe to prevent that.

Are you talking about hoses a metal braided mesh sleeving over it, or some type of nylon mesh braid molded into the vinyl hose?

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 15ft isnt too bad you should be able to get away with just regular vinyl.

Is it a straight shot from the basement to the tank or you do need to take turns? They do tend to kink and restrict the flow if the turn is too sharp.You could install some anti kink devise on the pipe to prevent that.

Are you talking about hoses a metal braided mesh sleeving over it, or some type of nylon mesh braid molded into the vinyl hose?
Only 1 180degree turn but it can be wide. I am pretty sure that it is nylon braid in the hose.

SKU# 311926

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOTING Submersible Water Pump 1/2 HP Electric Utility Pump, 1860 GPH Sump Pump Submersible Thermoplastic for Swimming Pool Garden Pond Basement Draining with 20ft Long Power Cord https://a.co/d/bKSB5r9

If you use one of these you can use a garden hose or hoses to fill the tank
One of the pictures on Amazon showed some screws on the outside. Not sure that these won't rust and not sure what metals are in the inside that would get exposed to the saltwater. I now know I didn't mention saltwater in the original post.

I also noticed that you have aiptasia farmer in your handle. I am too an aiptasia farmer although I don't want to be one. I am about to pick up some nudibranch, but open to other options if you know any better solutions.

Synthgp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 1 180degree turn but it can be wide. I am pretty sure that it is nylon braid in the hose.

SKU# 311926
I just picked up this tubing and noticed that it is not designed for potable water. Will that heal a problem? Any other tubing (for potable water) that you would recommend that is good for saltwater?

OP
OP
M

mak5487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this tubing and noticed that it is not designed for potable water. Will that heal a problem? Any other tubing (for potable water) that you would recommend that is good for saltwater?
I purchased it and using it. Did you read somewhere where it is not designed for potable water? I figured since it is non-toxic it would work and don't plan to change. I am not sure if the one the BRS sells is potable either.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%

Back