Water Pump Suggestion

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I bought these water pumps from the link below but I can't get them to stop siphoning when the motor is off. I have the pump sitting near a bucket below the tank but once the siphon gets going the water won't stop even when the motor is off. Any way to stop this from happening?

Water pump:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ7XFCF

- Mike

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will happen the only way to stop it is if u put a hole in the line.
5C748135-6DDD-4E92-B70C-936BB502EBA5.jpeg

Here’s where the hole should be. It will drain some water but if u put a hole it will stop it from draining all the way

OP
OP
T

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer the hole is to the top of the water line the less there will be drained.

Thanks for the tip. So the tube comes out of the tank from the top and I need to make a hole in the tube below the waterline. So the siphon will stop when the waterline is below the hole? I'm guessing the rest of the water in the line will drain through the pump though then I have no prime.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. So the tube comes out of the tank from the top and I need to make a hole in the tube below the waterline. So the siphon will stop when the waterline is below the hole? I'm guessing the rest of the water in the line will drain through the pump though then I have no prime.
Correct. The water will be sucked back into the area where the pump is. Gravity is pulling it so it will keep going until the siphon is broken. Putting a hole will break the siphon sooner so you don’t have as much water going into where ever that pump is

OP
OP
T

T-MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The water will be sucked back into the area where the pump is. Gravity is pulling it so it will keep going until the siphon is broken. Putting a hole will break the siphon sooner so you don’t have as much water going into where ever that pump is

OK thanks but I'm making an auto water change system so I can't have the pump un-prime itself. I think the solution might be to put a solenoid in-line so that when the pump stops the solenoid closes the valve also. You just need to wire the pump and solenoid in parallel.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the pump is submerged it will prime it self.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole is always a really good idea to prevent back flow for power outages and times when your pump is off. If your current set up allows for the sump to hold all the water your pump output can back siphon, then the hole is not needed. The only situation I can think of that does not require the pump to be replaced is if it is a DC pump set to a wave surge rather than a constant flow. Check your settings? Try a different pump? You can always add a check valve between the pump and tank and then see if the pump is capable of pushing the head you need.

For what it is worth, I always oversize my return pump plumbing to minimize the head pressure. (make it easier for your pump to deliver the water that high.) Either 1 inch schedule 80 from Lowes or 1.5 inch schedule 40. It makes a big difference in the volume a pump can move. I use sweeps from the electrical department rather than 90's and to to bigger pipes at all sharp bends. I have been amazed at how much more you can get from a pump that way.

Good Luck!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that pump has settings. It’s just a really cheap pond pump. It may not even handle much in the way of head pressure. I would not use a check valve as a solution if the sump can hold all the water from the return line.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you on the check valve. Not all that effective for what he has going on. I was just a little focused on them from another project I was doing and couldn't see past it at the moment.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back