Water solutions downstairs?

kablamo90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a 90G cube and have been thinking of how to handle water mixing/changes most efficiently and also trying to avoid having trash cans in my living room where my aquarium is.

See attached video and pictures - I was thinking to have the RODI and mixing station in my basement laundry room and run a line to my sump from there but wanted to ask here first if anyone’s done anything like this. To the right of the aquarium I plan on having a cabinet that houses reagents, electrical stuff and other misc. supplies.

Has anyone done something like this before? What do I need to get this done? I was thinking a Sicce Ultra in the bottom of a trash can in the laundry room which has a hose going to the sump, either fastened to the wall or drilled through the floor? How would you fasten the tube to the walls? Any other ideas? This is my first aquarium so I’m still figuring things out slowly. Thanks very much! IMG_2891.jpeg IMG_2892.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2890.mov
    28 MB

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get 2 brute trash cans downstairs. Put your rodi system down there to fill one.

Then if your tank is directly over the room have a second trash can with a big pump in it. Plumb a PVC pipe loop with a "T" next to your tank with some soft tubing. Have a valve off the tee and at the point where the water returns to the trashcan so you can control the flow.

Choke off the flow a bit downstairs but allow it to go into the can then open the upstairs valve to fill your tank. You could do two loops if you want an rodi valve too. Bonus points if the pumps are on. A switch you can operate upstairs.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as above!
2 brutes side by side.
1 is RODI, 1 is saltwater.
I don’t pipe through walls or floors, not to say that can’t be done.
I use a phyton to remove water, then attach to a small pump, and in it goes.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have new saltwater and RODI in my basement. The RODI is pumped up to my first floor via Tunze ATO pumps (two for ATOs one for a different use). During water changes, saltwater is pumped up to my two tanks and used water is pumped back down and into a sink drain. One tank uses a pair of Versa pumps to accomplish this, the other tank has two BRS dosing pumps.

OP
OP
kablamo90

kablamo90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all fantastic ideas. Thanks everyone!! I think I’ll probably not do any drilling and instead will run some soft plumbing along the wall - what do you use to hold/fasten that to the wall?

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of ways to hang pipe against a wall. If it's going to be anchored against a vertical surface, then you may want to use straps as opposed to a J hook. Also, non-metallic straps will probably work better with flexible line than something rigid like the J hook or a metal bracket.

OP
OP
kablamo90

kablamo90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of ways to hang pipe against a wall. If it's going to be anchored against a vertical surface, then you may want to use straps as opposed to a J hook. Also, non-metallic straps will probably work better with flexible line than something rigid like the J hook or a metal bracket.
I’m on Amazon and not sure if I’m finding the right product here. Could you recommend any? Thank you!

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on Amazon and not sure if I’m finding the right product here. Could you recommend any? Thank you!

Well... amazon isnt a plumbing supply house so that makes sense.

You'd want to look at someplace that specializes in hardware, better yet, specifically a plumbing supply house.

There are thousands of ways to do this, such as, or this, or this, etc...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back