OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ia almost feel like I should start a separate build for the Evo since it's become its own separate tank but for now I'll keep posting here. Found a crab climbing up the corner the other day lol. Also added a strawberry conch, nerith and scarlet hermit.
PXL_20210325_221913839.PORTRAIT.jpg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Nero 3 I have a JBJ 20 cube and was looking at a better wave maker ? How does it work for you

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Nero 3 I have a JBJ 20 cube and was looking at a better wave maker ? How does it work for you
I really like it, it's easy to set up and tune in. I'm still moving mine a round a little here and there, but I think that's all part of the new tank process.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it, it's easy to set up and tune in. I'm still moving mine a round a little here and there, but I think that's all part of the new tank process.
Yes it is lol , I’ve had my tank for almost 4 months. And I still can’t figure out flow cube flow is very tricky for me , I have jebao pump it moves a lot of water but in a narrow way,

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is lol , I’ve had my tank for almost 4 months. And I still can’t figure out flow cube flow is very tricky for me , I have jebao pump it moves a lot of water but in a narrow way,
I'm just over the 4 month mark on my tank. I just put a new random flow generator on my return and it moves the water around very nicely.

I feel like I've got good flow but am just now starting to get lots of algae on the sand. I'll be adding corals soon and I hope that helps balance everything put for me.

Not sure if that's helpful at all but I hope you get yours dialed in.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple sad updates this week. Our Darwin clown found a tiny gap in the lid and tried carpet surfing. My acid wash BTA didn't make it.

I added the min maxi carpet and 2 RFA's to the cube today. One of the sexy shrimp found the min maxi almost immediately.

PXL_20210402_152917649.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210402_152855568.NIGHT.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got lucky last night and checked on my tank omw to bed. My mini maxi went for a stroll and ended up stuck on my powerhead. I thought for sure it was a goner but I took my time and pushed it back through.
PXL_20210403_041822620.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210403_043305239.NIGHT.jpg

I didn't have good hopes when I went to bed last night. My peppermint shrimp kept jumping on it like it was going to deal it under the rock for a midnight snack.
I tucked it into a corner with its foot down and went to sleep.
It looks like it settled in and attached itself, now hopefully it'll stay here and heal up.
PXL_20210403_125411555.NIGHT.jpg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you were able to rescue the mini-maxi. 'Nems are annoying in that regard in that they might stay put for a long time and all of a sudden decide it's time to go on spring break. Fortunately the rock 'nems are very stable (though I have had a couple move).

Sorry to hear about the clown and the speckled BTA. I have lost a lot BTAs on the way, so I'm reluctant to keep trying to add them (lest there is something still present about the system that just makes it hard to adapt). That, plus when they move they tend to either shade or rub up against large numbers of other reef denizens, which in turn prompts them to take a field trip, and so forth.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you were able to rescue the mini-maxi. 'Nems are annoying in that regard in that they might stay put for a long time and all of a sudden decide it's time to go on spring break. Fortunately the rock 'nems are very stable (though I have had a couple move).

Sorry to hear about the clown and the speckled BTA. I have lost a lot BTAs on the way, so I'm reluctant to keep trying to add them (lest there is something still present about the system that just makes it hard to adapt). That, plus when they move they tend to either shade or rub up against large numbers of other reef denizens, which in turn prompts them to take a field trip, and so forth.

Regards nem guards, about a month ago I was surprised to find my yellow clown goby had found its way to my Nero 5's 'nem guard, and even though the pump is permanently set to feed mode speed (a bug which I decided was a benefit and so didn't fix) it was enough pull to kill the poor little guy.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, were pretty sad about the clown. It was my wife's fish and I have a hard time keeping her interested in it at all so that sucked.

I half expected to lose the bta, but had started to get my hopes up as it did well the first 12 days in the QT. I don't think I'm going to put the next ones through the full 2 weeks before goin in now. I've still got 2 more lined up, a rose from a local reefer and a purple that I'm going to wait till I have one doing well in the cube.

I'm still a little worried about the RFA'S cuz they keep puffing up the shrinking down and spewing junk.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regards nem guards, about a month ago I was surprised to find my yellow clown goby had found its way to my Nero 5's 'nem guard, and even though the pump is permanently set to feed mode speed (a bug which I decided was a benefit and so didn't fix) it was enough pull to kill the poor little guy.
That's a bummer about your goby, I've seen my clowns kinda playing in the pull and that made me pretty nervous.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This strawberry conch has been pretty busy lately.
PXL_20210407_002306831.MP.jpg

I was lucky and caught my rock flower taking a tumble towards my powerhead so I moved them both to a lower flow corner. One is looking better but the other is questionable. My mini maxi has moved a little more into the shrimp cave but flattered out again so I'm hoping it's just settling.

These corals are stressing me out...

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Miller - What is your general take on the Waterbox 20? I'm thinking of getting their Clear Mini 20 (same dimensions, just no all-in-one insert). I never thought I would be saying this, but my sea urchin, who keeps getting stuck along the sides, is necessitating a slight upgrade!

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Miller - What is your general take on the Waterbox 20? I'm thinking of getting their Clear Mini 20 (same dimensions, just no all-in-one insert). I never thought I would be saying this, but my sea urchin, who keeps getting stuck along the sides, is necessitating a slight upgrade!
I am very happy I went with a waterbox. It's my first non generic tank and I have no complaints about it so far.

I haven't scratched it, it's crystal clear and I personally like the aio setup.

If I can keep up with it long enough to outgrow it I will most likely stick with waterbox.
I recommend it, and good luck with that urchin lol.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy I went with a waterbox. It's my first non generic tank and I have no complaints about it so far.

I haven't scratched it, it's crystal clear and I personally like the aio setup.

If I can keep up with it long enough to outgrow it I will most likely stick with waterbox.
I recommend it, and good luck with that urchin lol.
Thank you. Order placed!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back