Waterbox 220.6 stand and glass overhang

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

this has had me paranoid for over a year and I’ve just “trusted” the design. Given that waterbox has great reviews I haven’t really worried about it. Doesn’t hurt to ask though!

attached is a picture of what I am talking about. Is this safe? I’m not an engineer so I imagine this company knows what they are doing. Is this something that will not last 10+ years?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically the front panel overhangs the stand, as that is how it is designed. I think the tank is just counting on the silicone for the pressure right? Well, the tank is perfectly level too but just a thought… doesn’t seem right

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have an engineering answer but considering that’s how all waterbox, Red Sea, and others are made -apparently the front glass doesn’t need to be suppprted.
That’s what I’m thinking too - but I’m worried that once these tanks are actively running for 10+ years we may start to see more posts of leaks. Just determining to see if I should get rid of this tank in 5 years or not. I’ve seen smaller tanks from other manufactures break at the bottom right and bottom left seams that have this same style.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple Red Sea tanks. Next tank I get will be euro braced - probably the Red Sea S series You bring up a good point though, what’s the lifespan of these rimless tanks?

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple Red Sea tanks. Next tank I get will be euro braced - probably the Red Sea S series You bring up a good point though, what’s the lifespan of these rimless tanks?
Lifespan is important. $6000 tank id expect 20 years.
@WaterBox are you able to provide some insight to this concern? What do you expect in longevity of the tanks silicone before we should consider replacing the aquarium?

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at RAP Orlando talking to the eshopps guy about the silicone in these tanks. He said they (Eshopps) are now using a high strength silicone that will last 20+ years and also said that Waterbox claims to be using this same type of silicone. However, he could confirm if it was true or not because he does not work for them. I also have a Waterbox 220.6 and would love to hear it from @Waterbox Aquariums too! Please make us feel better about this @WaterBox so that I can continue to recommend this tank to others.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at RAP Orlando talking to the eshopps guy about the silicone in these tanks. He said they (Eshopps) are now using a high strength silicone that will last 20+ years and also said that Waterbox claims to be using this same type of silicone. However, he could confirm if it was true or not because he does not work for them. I also have a Waterbox 220.6 and would love to hear it from @Waterbox Aquariums too! Please make us feel better about this @WaterBox so that I can continue to recommend this tank to others.
Great insight! Thanks for sharing. I love waterbox, just want that reassurance and if I should increase my homeowners insurance policy haha

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These large rimless tanks will be lucky to last 5 years IMO. If you want a 10-20 year you need trim to support the silicone.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you hoping they will say on a public forum about the silicone they use?
Reassurance that the silicone is good for more than 5 years. I don’t know what difference it makes if it’s public forum or not though, I’ll still publicly talk about it even if I find out via private message. Those tanks are pricey, and I’m willing to pay more for a stronger product - large reef tanks are typically set up for a while in comparison to nano tanks.

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reassurance that the silicone is good for more than 5 years. I don’t know what difference it makes if it’s public forum or not though, I’ll still publicly talk about it even if I find out via private message. Those tanks are pricey, and I’m willing to pay more for a stronger product - large reef tanks are typically set up for a while in comparison to nano tanks.
I mean.. they're not going to tell you that their silicone sucks.

OP
OP
Max93

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received confirmation that the silicone can have a lifespan of up to 20 years, and of course many factors go into that but the seams will outlast much longer than a person usually keeps the same aquarium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back