Waterbox 70.2 build

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I have been off and on in the hobby for the last 12 years and just recently got back into it since I am no longer traveling with work. I setup a waterbox 20 cube about 5 months ago that went great and I got the itch to go a little bigger. I love the cube design so I chose the waterbox 70.2 since a 93g cube with sump would require floor reinforcement In my house.

Tank - Waterbox 70.2 display
Sump - Trigger platinum 20c
Skimmer - Aquamaxx Cone S Q-1
Light - XR15 Gen5 Blue with reefbright XHO add ons
Return pump - Vortech S2
Powerheads - 2x MP10s
Inkbird dual heater controller
2x fluval 200w heaters
Apex controller
Duetto ATO
Aqua 15W UV sterilizer
Aquascape by dream aquascape

I broke down the 20 cube and transferred the coral and bio media to the new tank about a month ago and all is going well! Near term I plan on getting the trident/dos setup and continue adding corals (LPS, SPS and Zoa mostly). Fish stock as follows 2x chromis, yellow eye kole tang(small), flame hawk, orchid dottyback, royal gamma, lawnmower blenny, phantom clown and a black ice clown. No intention of adding any new fish going forward

1CC4F805-E1C4-4C30-A26C-0A4BF60EBC62.jpeg
93D8D0AF-4980-485B-9F00-F12E93921389.jpeg
598A4885-D31D-4FCB-B8E8-881E384A071B.jpeg

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I'm looking at doing the same setup. How are you liking the Trigger Platinum 20?

OP
OP
Nyg215

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, I'm looking at doing the same setup. How are you liking the Trigger Platinum 20?
The sump is great but is cramped which will really be the case with any sump in the 70.2 stand. This is my first time using a fleece roller and will never look back to filter socks. It’s so easy and keeps the water super clear.

always a joy seeing clean, ship-shape new tanks, such an enjoyment to see
thank you! I like to keep on top of everything to mitigate any issues down the road.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I have been off and on in the hobby for the last 12 years and just recently got back into it since I am no longer traveling with work. I setup a waterbox 20 cube about 5 months ago that went great and I got the itch to go a little bigger. I love the cube design so I chose the waterbox 70.2 since a 93g cube with sump would require floor reinforcement In my house.

Tank - Waterbox 70.2 display
Sump - Trigger platinum 20c
Skimmer - Aquamaxx Cone S Q-1
Light - XR15 Gen5 Blue with reefbright XHO add ons
Return pump - Vortech S2
Powerheads - 2x MP10s
Inkbird dual heater controller
2x fluval 200w heaters
Apex controller
Duetto ATO
Aqua 15W UV sterilizer
Aquascape by dream aquascape

I broke down the 20 cube and transferred the coral and bio media to the new tank about a month ago and all is going well! Near term I plan on getting the trident/dos setup and continue adding corals (LPS, SPS and Zoa mostly). Fish stock as follows 2x chromis, yellow eye kole tang(small), flame hawk, orchid dottyback, royal gamma, lawnmower blenny, phantom clown and a black ice clown. No intention of adding any new fish going forward

1CC4F805-E1C4-4C30-A26C-0A4BF60EBC62.jpeg
93D8D0AF-4980-485B-9F00-F12E93921389.jpeg
598A4885-D31D-4FCB-B8E8-881E384A071B.jpeg
How do you like that sump? Thinking of getting the same

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thats a tiny roller! Awesome little start ur off too. That scape is somethin else!

Jlmiller173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are the mp10’s holding up with that half inch thick glass? Thinking of getting the same powerheads but told they won’t hold on a tank this thick.

OP
OP
Nyg215

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey how are the mp10’s holding up with that half inch thick glass? Thinking of getting the same powerheads but told they won’t hold on a tank this thick.
i had to remove the rubber gasket from the dry side to get them to hold. They do hold but it is a pain in the butt getting them to line up and hold every time I swap out the wet side. If I didn’t already have the MP10s I’d get the MP40 and not worry about it again

YNRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, how do you like the waterbox? I'm looking at getting either Waterbox or Redsea... wasn't sure which one. Seems like waterbox is a tad smaller underneath? I like how you have the additional stand for controllers. Also you don't have a refugium do you?... based on pictures.

Jlmiller173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, how do you like the waterbox? I'm looking at getting either Waterbox or Redsea... wasn't sure which one. Seems like waterbox is a tad smaller underneath? I like how you have the additional stand for controllers. Also you don't have a refugium do you?... based on pictures.

I love my water box it’s awesome the stand is great quality too. The sump doesn’t have a refugium but will have media balls in the tank. You could go with a media tube refuge though I’ve seen some of those done. Yes I’m also making a smaller stand to attach to this stand for all of my controllers for a clean look. Just waiting to get the rest of the supplies right now .

Jlmiller173

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to remove the rubber gasket from the dry side to get them to hold. They do hold but it is a pain in the butt getting them to line up and hold every time I swap out the wet side. If I didn’t already have the MP10s I’d get the MP40 and not worry about it again

Got ya. That’s what I was hearing too so I ended up going with two AI Nero 3’s since they will stick to that thickness of glass.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sump is great but is cramped which will really be the case with any sump in the 70.2 stand. This is my first time using a fleece roller and will never look back to filter socks. It’s so easy and keeps the water super clear.

thank you! I like to keep on top of everything to mitigate any issues down the road.
What fleece rolller is this? Guess it slots right into the sock hole?

OP
OP
Nyg215

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fleece rolller is this? Guess it slots right into the sock hole?
It’s an entirely different sump from the one that comes with the tank from waterbox. The sump is a trigger platinum 20C which comes with an integrated fleece roller. I switched to this sump for the fleece roller and extra water volume due to not having an integrated ato reservoir. It’s a great sump!

OP
OP
Nyg215

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love waterbox tanks! They are an extremely high quality tank. The internal stand dimensions will 100% depend on the overall tank size. To trigger sump I have had about 1.5” of space on one side so it just fits. I do not have a refugium since space is tight. The fleece roller and skimmer ensure my nutrient levels do not get high at all so I have no need for a fuge. I have actually been heavily feeding my tank so I can get detectable levels of no3 and po4.

OP
OP
Nyg215

Nyg215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 month update....

The tank is doing great! I have transitioned it to an SPS dominant tank over the last month and moved most of my LPS/softies to the frag tank. Started two part dosing last month via trident/DOS setup which is a game changer!

I also setup my cube 20 as a nem/clown tank this past month....build thread to come in a few days.

Attachments

• ABDD7F8C-A290-438B-BA42-2F00FDD0A760.jpeg
    ABDD7F8C-A290-438B-BA42-2F00FDD0A760.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 101

jalli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you changed the drain system. May I ask how you ran the returns ? I am in the process of setting up a 70.2 I went with a fiji 20 sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back