OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just letting everything settle and mature. It might be time to turn up the lights and try a couple frags. I swapped out the lifereef skimmer for a Vertex Omega 150 I had. Either my bioload is way to low for the lifereef (most likely is) or the pump I'm using isn't up to the task of pushing a venturi skimmer (possible, but the Leopard L90 is a beast of a pump). The vertex isn't pulling a ton of skimmate, but it has cleared up the water some.

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I can keep the sand on just the end. I would have gone full bare bottom, but I do love my wrasses. I have 2 halichoeres and a leopard that need sand to sleep in.

I haven't really run the gyre's full blast yet, but the sand has stayed in place so far. I'm running the preset LTC (lunar tidal cycle) that ramps up to 100% but never runs there long.

Bumped the LED's on the hybrid to 15% "full spectrum". Lightroom thinks the color temp is 8200k
DSC_9020.jpg

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this build, really cool fish choices so far! Will definitely be following its progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first frags are in. Started out with JF Grape Juice, RR Aussie Gold, WWC Yellow Tip, PC Rainbow, a tiny piece of TCK Pikachu (didn't mean to frag that one, I'm clumsy), and a no-name yellow acro.

Measured PAR with just 4 T5 and the LED's @ 50% and I'm getting 360-400 at the top of the rocks and even a few places towards the bottom of the tank. I think the 8-bulb hybrid might have been overkill. I'm basically running it half capacity and more than enough PAR.
DSC_9245.jpg
DSC_9247.jpg

Few fish pics. Added a new fish, C. jordani (flame wrasse) already transitioning to male.
DSC_9216.jpg
DSC_9226.jpg
DSC_9223.jpg

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first frags are in. Started out with JF Grape Juice, RR Aussie Gold, WWC Yellow Tip, PC Rainbow, a tiny piece of TCK Pikachu (didn't mean to frag that one, I'm clumsy), and a no-name yellow acro.

Measured PAR with just 4 T5 and the LED's @ 50% and I'm getting 360-400 at the top of the rocks and even a few places towards the bottom of the tank. I think the 8-bulb hybrid might have been overkill. I'm basically running it half capacity and more than enough PAR.
DSC_9245.jpg
DSC_9247.jpg

Few fish pics. Added a new fish, C. jordani (flame wrasse) already transitioning to male.
DSC_9216.jpg
DSC_9226.jpg
DSC_9223.jpg
Any idea what type of algae you're growing right now?

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diatoms at the moment. They came into full bloom once I turned the lights up.

DSC_9255.jpg
DSC_9251.jpg
Hard to ID the algae for sure from the pictures are you sure it isn't dinos? Sorry if you've mentioned this elsewhere, but I'm curious about what type of camera you are using the take these great shots? Thanks!

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown plague is passing ;Woot. Just in case it's dino's I've been dosing extra bacteria (MB clean) and H2O2 at night.

The first set of frags is still looking OK, though not very colorful. I added another round of frags tonight as well as a zoa/LPS rock and frogspawn coral.

Alk is stable, but not dropping so there's no growth yet to speak of. Nitrate is a bit high at ~20-25ppm. PO4 is dangerously low, testing at 0-4ppb so I'll get dosing a bit of that.

DSC_9378.jpg

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing phosphates has eliminated the dinos thankfully.The rocks which were completely brown are clearing up, the sand is no longer brown, and I've got a ton of green algae on the glass now (none before). For a few days I was doing massive amounts (20ml at a time) and was still getting a 0-4ppb reading within a few hours. Finally the system has caught up and I've moved the dosing over to a pump and spaced out 12ml per day.

Sent in a triton sample last week and have my results back in 5 days, I'm liking this new US based testing!

Little concerned about the tin, and I'll need to do something about that. Starting with cuprisorb as that has worked for me in the past.
The Al is expected based on the marine pure blocks I moved over from the old tank. I expect that will taper off over time. Zinc is a little unexpected and I'm not sure where that's coming from. I'll keep on eye on that one.

A few water changes are probably in order. I've put off doing any since the dino's showed up. Given the less than perfect ICP results I'll get back on schedule of weekly 10%.

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found that one frag had passed on after the transfer. It was a tenuis that had nearly died once and was making a comeback, but probably wasn't ready for the move. Out of the 28 SPS frags that I moved to the new tank that has been the only loss.

Otherwise corals look a bit dull/brownish, but healthy.
DSC_9619.jpg

MSOEME2009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. I plan on getting one when we move houses next year to our forever location. I like the hybrid sand/BB. Sand is great for stability and wrasse but BB has so much allure with cranking up flow. I switched from sand to BB back to sand on my new tank I set up (before any livestock). I ended up only putting about 1/2-1" of sand in places. My clowns actually have a cleaned out corner for their "nest" to sleep in. I love having big flow, it really helps.

I've been there with water on the floor. My case was coming out the kitchen recessed lights ;Facepalm (2x...).

Until then I'll enjoy my nuvo 20 pen. on my desktop.

I had great success setting this one up with Microbactor7 doses and it kept all the nasty algae away. I also have a bottle of vibrant on hand just in case. Plus I cycled it for 3 months... I had the same thing with dino's on my last tank with low nutrients. This tank I have no skimmer, but added a HOB refugium, chaeto, and pods and it's been golden. The DOS AWC doesn't hurt either....

I will say I love KZ additives for the coral, great color and growth.

Can't wait to see it grow out!

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Office in town was shutting down their tank, so I picked up a few fish and things. Fish went into QT, but the pair of coral banded shrimp went into the tank.
1584663133003.png

OP
OP
dragon99

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since adding the MP40's on each side, flow is better. The fish (tangs especially) seem to enjoy swimming into the current.

The banggai didn't get the memo about which direction to swim for the photo
DSC_9766.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back