Waterbox 80.4 Shallow Reef

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping a 90 gal FOWLR tank for a little over 10 years, I decided that I should downsize and start a new reef tank. If any of you have been in the hobby even for a couple of months, the idea of downsizing almost sounds crazy. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking.

First, I bought a 20 gal step tank from a local guy on R2R. I've always loved that style and thought it would be perfect for my 9 year old clown and a new. It was the quest for a used AI Prime that got me into the rest of my trouble. (This tank is still sitting in the garage). So, when I was looking for the Prime I found a great deal on Craigslist for a 5 month old Waterbox 28.2 frag tank from a guy who was getting out of the hobby. It came with the stand, pump and light, plus extras that were worth as much for what I paid for the tank!

I really liked this AIO, except for the AIO part. I have only run my main tank with a sump and really wanted a refugium. I wrestled with drilling an overflow and even ordered a Trigger cube sump on Black Friday. I was gathering all of the pieces I needed for this tank, but I was absolutely terrified to drill it and ruin it. At this point (if you're still reading) I'm sure you will all (not) be surprised that I kept hunting for another tank. *I did set up the 28.2 alongside the 80.4. One day I may set up a build thread for that one and I'll link it here if that happens.

I lucked out and found the 80.4 on Facebook marketplace and stalked the listing until it dropped to a price I could afford. To my surprise and excitement, the guy threw in a Vectra L1 and the heaters for free! This build thread will cover the 80.4 as well as the saltwater mixing station that I set up to make maintenance easier.

79164344_2663661937033821_476044730455556096_n.jpg

* This is the pic from the listing

OP
OP
flsoccerace

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank home and first steps were to toss all of the old sand and scrub down with vinegar water. Also disassembled the L1 and soaked it alongside any old equipment that would be used.

tank in car.jpg
clean full shot.jpg
clean side shot.jpg

OP
OP
flsoccerace

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, love the dimensions.
I’ve been super happy with it so far. It’s been up and running for a few months and I finally convinced myself to try and go back with as many details as I can before I forget all the nonsense that it took to finally put water in it.

OP
OP
flsoccerace

flsoccerace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment List:

tank: Waterbox 80.4 (48”w X 24”d X 12”h) about 60 gal display
sump: Trigger cube
ATO container: Trigger 10 gal
Lighting: 2x AI Hydra 32
Temp controller: Inkbird ITC-308S
Heater: 200w & 100w Cobalt neotherm heater
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 152-S
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Return pump: Vectra L1
Wavemaker: MP40
Power: Rackmount 9 outlet power strip

Sand: 60 lbs Fiji Pink Arag-Alive
Dry Rock: Pristine Rock (I don’t know how many pounds I ended up using)
Aquaroche: Multiple pieces of Aquaroche ceramic rock

Last edited:
Back