Waterbox Platinum frag 80.4

sierra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm considering getting into the hobby. I'm not sure if I will try corals, but definitely would like some fish. I've been looking at some used tanks locally, all different sizes. Some 93 gallon squares, some 60 gallon cubes, etc. Currently, there is a good deal on a Waterbox Platinum Frag 80.4. It seems like a nice tank in great condition. My concerns are the dimensions of the tank (48x24x12). It seems extremely shallow, only 12" tall, and that doesn't account for substrate or the overflow height. Is this an acceptable water column height to keep any type of fish in? I know it is a frag tank, so it's not really made to house fish, but I have been looking at it just because it seems like a very good deal.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Buckyboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I would think it would be ok for smaller fish or fish that like to stick near the bottom like watchman gobies, etc. but I would expect it to not have sufficient space for larger more active fish like tangs, etc.

OP
OP
S

sierra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I would think it would be ok for smaller fish or fish that like to stick near the bottom like watchman gobies, etc. but I would expect it to not have sufficient space for larger more active fish like tangs, etc.

I know it's not big enough for tangs, I wouldn't want them either way. Biggest fish I would plan on getting is a foxface.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a shallow reef tank system so I would stick to the type of fish you would have in a nano tank. You would have room for a smaller tang. If you are looking for fish and coral maybe later, I would look for a deeper tank as this model itself was even replaced with one that was 16 inches deep. Living in the same area as you, there are a number of listings on facebook. I know the 130.4 one I have seen myself in person when picking up coral from the seller.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would pass and wait for something taller. I had a 36x12x12 once and while fun it was just way to cramped for height. I had only about 4-5 inches above my rocks. Just not viable for long term fish or coral wise.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back