Waterbox Return

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my new WB 130.4. Recommended return flow is 1200GPH. I am very curious if others are running a return rate close to their recommendations and what you're usingto accomplish this? I'm not positive 1200 GPH is achievable with a 20mm (3/4") return hose. Also, there's about the same size restriction on the drain line. The drain pipe is 32 mm ( 1-1/4") but the mount for the strainer necks down to about 20-22mm (3/4" or so) tough to get a good measurement here.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumping that much through 3/4" is no problem, the restriction you have is the drain.

1200gph normally would require a drain size of 1.43" and you are at 1.25" so maybe a pump at that rated volume AND dealing w/ head pressure loss would maybe deal w/ that, BUT, if there is a restriction you will only get what that restriction limits to.

I don't know what this strainer neck is on that exactly.

Typically most of us are around 5x turnover on returns, that's what I shoot for.

OP
OP
Paul C.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 5X turn over is plenty. Even that is going to be more than a skimmer can process. Just don't get the recommendation being so high. Just no way this set up can handle anything close to that.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back