Waterbox Return

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my new WB 130.4. Recommended return flow is 1200GPH. I am very curious if others are running a return rate close to their recommendations and what you're usingto accomplish this? I'm not positive 1200 GPH is achievable with a 20mm (3/4") return hose. Also, there's about the same size restriction on the drain line. The drain pipe is 32 mm ( 1-1/4") but the mount for the strainer necks down to about 20-22mm (3/4" or so) tough to get a good measurement here.

Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumping that much through 3/4" is no problem, the restriction you have is the drain.

1200gph normally would require a drain size of 1.43" and you are at 1.25" so maybe a pump at that rated volume AND dealing w/ head pressure loss would maybe deal w/ that, BUT, if there is a restriction you will only get what that restriction limits to.

I don't know what this strainer neck is on that exactly.

Typically most of us are around 5x turnover on returns, that's what I shoot for.

OP
OP
Paul C.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 5X turn over is plenty. Even that is going to be more than a skimmer can process. Just don't get the recommendation being so high. Just no way this set up can handle anything close to that.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back