Waterchange from main drain

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if it's possible to drain your tank from the same line as the main drain without having to pump your sump water into the display to cause it to overflow to the main overflow. Basically gravity drain your tank to a T in your main drain line and have it flow into a bucket. Tips, help, videos and pictures would be greatly appreciated

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I had a bit of trouble following you. Are you saying you want to use the normal overflow plumbing and T it off so you can open a valve and have the water diverted from the sump into the bucket?

OP
OP
Peter Dietz

Peter Dietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

I had a bit of trouble following you. Are you saying you want to use the normal overflow plumbing and T it off so you can open a valve and have the water diverted from the sump into the bucket?
From the main display preferably. I know it's possible to t it off the return and pump the sump out but in that situation you would only pump out your return chamber

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't be able to drain much water from your main drain. Alot of the water that goes back into your sump is from the siphoning on your return line.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you turn off your pump, water will siphonback to the sump, until your return nozzles are exposed to air. Then there will be no water going passed your overflow weir, thus no water going down your main drain.
If your weir was very low, then you can remove water with a T in the overflow, but you will just end up flooding your floors if something went wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although it would work, you’re best off with conventional water change , and slightly sifting gravel bed and some detrious

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back