WAV pumps for a peninsula tank

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I get good circulation with Apex WAV for a 120 gallon peninsula tank? I don't want to obstruct the view from three of the four sides. I will have an external overflow.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer specifically regarding the WAV pumps, but I will say it can be challenging to keep the peninsula looking clean. I originally started with a very poorly designed closed loop system so I had no powerheads. Loved it until flow needs grew.

I ended up installing a Gyre on the 'wall' side, inside the overflow box. I got used to seeing that as it pretty much blended in. I eventually caved and ended up with a Gyre on the other end as well, mounted up rather high. So I now have them on both ends and if cranked up, I can't keep the sand in place.

I won't spoil your thread with my pictures but you can get an idea of how it looks in my build thread. It bothered me for a short while, but I really have gotten used to seeing the one on the outer panel.

Bottom line...at least in my opinion, you may end up having to get used to seeing one there as well, depending on your coral choice and aquascape design.

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar problem, 2 WAV pumps at the overflow end of peninsula tank. Was getting a lot of accumulation down and the far end of tank on top of water. Changed the flow so at various times the flow is a lot lower from one pump or the other. When one is low it seems to let all that stuff on top move to overflow and go to filter socks.

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar problem, 2 WAV pumps at the overflow end of peninsula tank. Was getting a lot of accumulation down and the far end of tank on top of water. Changed the flow so at various times the flow is a lot lower from one pump or the other. When one is low it seems to let all that stuff on top move to overflow and go to filter socks.

Good info. How large is your tank? Second question: Was detritus accumulating on the sandbed at the far end?

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. How large is your tank? Second question: Was detritus accumulating on the sandbed at the far end?
The tank is a Red Sea Reefer P650 which is 63” long and 135 gallons. I’m actually getting stuff floating on the top, it gets blocked at the far end of the tank when both pumps are running roughly equal

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for Peninsula tank which i am using too ,i think 2 gyres is more than enough with alternate gyre mode program

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back