Wave makers

SteveBo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the reef hobby. I have a Fluval evo 13.5, two clowns, couple snails and crabs....I’m up and running for about 6 weeks now, Stock lighting and filtration. cycle is complete, parameters look amazing , fish are happy and healthy. So of course it’s time to start collecting my SPS...but before I do Im about to install the AI Prime HD, I like the programming functions and the flexibility it seems to bring to the lighting, my main concern is flow....opinions on adding a wave maker? My LFS says nahhh....the two discharge nozzles is probably enough, but that sound like the minimum, I want to make sure the tank is as optimal for the inhabitants as I can make it with this setup, and the AquaMai kps looks inviting...feedback is much appreciated!!!

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely need flow. There is a recent post in which someone asked for opinions on best wave maker without destroying budgets and aquamai was consistently mentioned as doing great for people. I have not used that one personally. That being said, i would think from product research and recommendations that you'll be fine with that one.

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank. I have the prime 16 HD and like it for this tank. You will need more flow for sure. I have used a Jebow SOW4 for the last 5 months and like its functionality for this tank as well. I had to move it around a bunch (testing) to get the flow I wanted but now it’s all good. I just added my 1st SPS 3 weeks ago and all seems well so far. I do think I want to upgrade the return pump to get a bit more flow but for now it is fine.

OP
OP
SteveBo

SteveBo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the feedback!! Truthfully a big reason I like the AI Prime HD and the AquaMai is because of our schedule, it’s hard to turn things off and on as needed through the day, the automation part to me is very appealing. I’m glad to hear your sps is thriving!!! I can’t wait to pick me out something soon.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the reef hobby. I have a Fluval evo 13.5, two clowns, couple snails and crabs....I’m up and running for about 6 weeks now, Stock lighting and filtration. cycle is complete, parameters look amazing , fish are happy and healthy. So of course it’s time to start collecting my SPS...but before I do Im about to install the AI Prime HD, I like the programming functions and the flexibility it seems to bring to the lighting, my main concern is flow....opinions on adding a wave maker? My LFS says nahhh....the two discharge nozzles is probably enough, but that sound like the minimum, I want to make sure the tank is as optimal for the inhabitants as I can make it with this setup, and the AquaMai kps looks inviting...feedback is much appreciated!!!
Upgraded my pump to the sicce (300 gph) but didn’t do random flow generator nozzles because I added the hygger mp 1600 which is awesome and programmable!

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely need flow. There is a recent post in which someone asked for opinions on best wave maker without destroying budgets and aquamai was consistently mentioned as doing great for people. I have not used that one personally. That being said, i would think from product research and recommendations that you'll be fine with that one.

Try the hygger mini 1600 gph. I had 2 hydors and switched to this! It’s so small, low profile, and freaking awesome!!!!!

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two reef wave 45s. Man they are powerful..
I’ll look into them! The hygger i got is smaller than an egg, costed me 30$ and you have five different things you can program at once based on time of day (you can literally have it make tides that pull water in and out so one in a small tank creates decent movement in corals. I wanted to upgrade my return nozzles to rfg’s but need to go get them 3D printed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back