Wavemakers suggestions

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m back after some time and need your input again. For my Redsea750xxl I’m slowly getting the hang of things and trying to learn more things by the day. I currently have two RedSea 45s on the back of my tank but I notice some debris hangs on towards the front of the tank, I’m assuming because the live rocks are preventing flow. I was recommended some additional wavemakers by @blaxsun and a couple other of you guys here but was debating then. I’m thinking of purchasing two for the sides of my tank, I’ve the names Tunze and another name starting with M but not sure which are best. I have a 200 gallon tank, no corals yet but hopefully soon in the future. I guess the Redsea45 that I have are called gyres not wavemakers I’m also not sure what the difference is, do we need both is that better in combination or is one better than the other? Please help any suggestions?! I’ve began to really trust you guys and all the help and advice I get here is hands down the best so waiting to hear back from you guys. Thank you.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
mp40 are great, you also have the option for a gyre style wavemaker as well, which is what I'm considering to install on one side due to the way my aquascape is setup.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 750XXL I have a pair of Red Sea ReefWave45s (either side, pointing inwards) that I run between 20-60% depending on time of day. I have augmented this with a smaller pair of Maxspect XF330s that I had from my previous IM Fusion 25 tanks that I run on either side of the overflow at a fixed rate of 20% (they're also on emergency backup).

I don't actually recommend the Maxspect (for a variety of reasons), suffice it to say the magnets are barely able to hold the XF330s in-place (and they often slide out of position).

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 750XXL I have a pair of Red Sea ReefWave45s (either side, pointing inwards) that I run between 20-60% depending on time of day. I have augmented this with a smaller pair of Maxspect XF330s that I had from my previous IM Fusion 25 tanks that I run on either side of the overflow at a fixed rate of 20% (they're also on emergency backup).

I don't actually recommend the Maxspect (for a variety of reasons), suffice it to say the magnets are barely able to hold the XF330s in-place (and they often slide out of position).
I remember you telling me that and from the pic you showed me. What would you recommend for the sides, I also got the RedSea Wave 45s on my tank, not sure if I told you. I’ll have to check what they’re running on, I think I just went with the default. I’m not entirely sure how they run so I didn’t want to mess with the setting, there’s some forward and reverse setting to them.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mp40 are great, you also have the option for a gyre style wavemaker as well, which is what I'm considering to install on one side due to the way my aquascape is setup.
I think the RedSea Wave45 which I have are considered a gyre style wavemakers. What brand are the mp40? Also do you know why the gyre style would be better or why it’s more beneficial than the wavemakers?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the RedSea Wave45 which I have are considered a gyre style wavemakers. What brand are the mp40? Also do you know why the gyre style would be better or why it’s more beneficial than the wavemakers?
Ecotech makes the mp 40. The difference you’ll see between an mp 40 vs a gyre is that the mp 40 will provide a wide cone of flow. A gyre pump provides a strong, flat layer of directional flow. IMO, gyre pump are better at sweeping detritus and creating a directional undertow current than something like an mp 40. The mp 40 on the otherhand is better at creating generalized semi-directional flow in the tank. This is good for directing flow at corals throughout the tank without hammering it with overpowering flow, which is really easy to do with a gyre. Either way, both act as “wavemakers” and have difference settings to create different flow patterns.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gyres at the top so the cord isn't noticeable, and MP40s down low so no cords running down inside the tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sicce voyagers (the 3 or HP, likely the HP, would be best for your tank). They last forever. The voyager 3 has a a variable flow end cap. They are not dc but you can get a controller to turn them on and off.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't go wrong with either. The main difference is that the Vortech has a wet side that you can remove and the ReefWave is more of a true gyre in terms of flow.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 MP40s (high price/low wetside reliability/easy inside swap), Tunze 6155? (powerful/reliable/unsightly), WAVs (powerful/slightly less expensive/compatible w/APEX), Jebao, IceCap gyre (sheet of water/VERY high flow/NIGHTMARE disassembly), Hygger (depends), and AI Nero's (no complaints/wifi capable/more expensive than jebao). If I did it all over, I'd just get Jebao SLW 30s for everything. A little less sexy than some other options, but mine have been on the high end of reliability and low end on price. All these different pumps have different philosophies of use and it depends on your tank, coral, etc. Don't fall for the marketing and spend your money on on coral/fish instead IMO.

Pleased According To Jim GIF by Laff

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back