Waving Xenia Not Opening

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I bought a colony of Waving Xenia at my local fish store for a steal, and I got it as a filler for my new reef tank. However, a fourth of it opened up the next day, but then after that, nothing opened. I have done a water change, changed the lights and turned them down, added a powerhead, and changed the current to an offset around the rocks. I also have a frag of Pulsing Xenia that is opened and have done better with my changes as well as Green Star Polyp and Winter Star Organ. My parameters are Calcium: 420, ALK: 15, Phos: .25, Nitrate: 10, Nitrite: 0, Amo: less than .25, Salinity: 1.028, Temp: 78, pH: 8.2. Now I have been slowly doing water changes over the past few weeks and lowering my ALK down to the range, due to using in house RO water to start up the tank and that was the wrong decision. But, I don't think that's the problem with my other corals doing fine. Going to upload a picture of the location of it and my light settings for any tips cuz I wanna see it open up and thrive.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your alkalinity is way too high at 15. Most like to keep it within 7-11dKH, with 8.5dKH being a "sweet spot".
Yea working to get it down, but with my other frags all open and extended do you think that would be the problem with the bigger colony of Xenia, being it's the only un opened one?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my light and position of corals.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 27

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea working to get it down, but with my other frags all open and extended do you think that would be the problem with the bigger colony of Xenia, being it's the only un opened one?
No idea, but I'd get that addressed first.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but I'd get that addressed first.
Making water as we speak :) . Do you think with adding the Xenia on Monday and it hasn't opened yet it'll be okay? At what point do I worry or start moving it around? If I should start worrying, should I turn up the lights or point a power head more in its direction?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making water as we speak :) . Do you think with adding the Xenia on Monday and it hasn't opened yet it'll be okay? At what point do I worry or start moving it around? If I should start worrying, should I turn up the lights or point a power head more in its direction?
Xenia can literally grow in a toilet, so I think you'll be fine. Just ensure it's getting at least some flow.

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most have mentioned, it can grow almost anywhere. But for the overall health of your animals, I would recommend getting your Alk down under 10 and your Salinity to 1.025-1.026

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I bought a colony of Waving Xenia at my local fish store for a steal, and I got it as a filler for my new reef tank. However, a fourth of it opened up the next day, but then after that, nothing opened. I have done a water change, changed the lights and turned them down, added a powerhead, and changed the current to an offset around the rocks. I also have a frag of Pulsing Xenia that is opened and have done better with my changes as well as Green Star Polyp and Winter Star Organ. My parameters are Calcium: 420, ALK: 15, Phos: .25, Nitrate: 10, Nitrite: 0, Amo: less than .25, Salinity: 1.028, Temp: 78, pH: 8.2. Now I have been slowly doing water changes over the past few weeks and lowering my ALK down to the range, due to using in house RO water to start up the tank and that was the wrong decision. But, I don't think that's the problem with my other corals doing fine. Going to upload a picture of the location of it and my light settings for any tips cuz I wanna see it open up and thrive.
My alk is 8, nitrate is less than 5 salinity 1.024 temp 77 calcium 480 ammonia is negligible and phos is also 0.25 and my pipe organ and everything else is bobbing and happy, but the Xenia that’s supposed to be easy has not come out in days. Only difference is I have more algae.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back