Ways to help messed up acclimation

Mike197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I know I messed up and now my clownfish aren't looking too good. They have some pink in their white spots, which I've read means they're struggling to acclimate to a tank. I just moved and some things went wrong during the moving process which resulted in mistakes being made with how I transferred over the fish and such. Now they have a bit of pink in them and one of them is hanging out at the bottom corner of the tank, which they normally don't do. They've been in the new tank for about 24 hours.
Is there anything I can do to help a fish that was poorly acclimated? Or is just waiting and keeping the lights low all I can do?
Thank you in advance

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameters? Without details on how the fish were moved and acclimated, it’s hard to suggest something. Water parameters would be good. During the moving process, steps can be taken to assure no die off from rock and such. That way no recycling occurs. Not even a mini cycle. Not sure how long a move this was. I would test your water, particularly for ammonia first.

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a read to avoid any mishaps when moving.
I realize it’s a little late now. But maybe you could see if any steps might have been missed.

OP
OP
Mike197

Mike197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the link.

Basically my new place is only 5 minutes away from my old one. So I moved my old tank in my old place onto the floor so I could move my tank stand over to set up my new tank. I spent the next day setting up the new tank with clean water and the heater from my old tank. Then the next day I brought the fish and rock over from the old tank. I rinsed the rock and such, and didn't bring any of the sand over.

There were two big problems. The first is that I took the heater out of the old tank because the ambient temperature of my old room is 78-80 degrees this time of year, which is close to how I usually keep it anyways. However, someone went into my room to do some work and turned on the air conditioner (which I usually leave off) and when I got there a day and a half later the tank was close to 70 degrees. So it's safe to assume the tank was too cold for at least a few hours, I'd guess around 12 based on when the person was in the room. But I did realize that and temp acclimate before putting the fish in. The second mistake, which I'm really kicking myself for, is that I mixed the new water to the salinity that I usually use in my tank 1.024. However, it didn't occur to me that since I've been moving for a few weeks now and somewhat neglected my tank thank the correct amount of top off wasn't happening, so the salinity rose to about 1.027. So while I temperature acclimated I did not do so for the salt because I thought it was the same level when it wasn't.

So I'm pretty confident that I know what went wrong, but part of me was hoping there'd be a tip or trick to help, but logically I know there probably aren't any.

Also I'm not intentionally ignoring your request for parameters, my testing kit got messed up, so I have to get a new one. I know, it's almost useless posted without parameters, but I'm just freaking out because I've had these fish for two years.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the link.

Basically my new place is only 5 minutes away from my old one. So I moved my old tank in my old place onto the floor so I could move my tank stand over to set up my new tank. I spent the next day setting up the new tank with clean water and the heater from my old tank. Then the next day I brought the fish and rock over from the old tank. I rinsed the rock and such, and didn't bring any of the sand over.

Edit: I read wrong. This happened without the fish. I still think the temperature issue is much worse than the SG being ever so slightly high. I’ve had my SG as high as 1.03 before when my refractometer was out of whack and clownfish we’re fine. Some corals didn’t like it. But 70 degrees is too low.

There were two big problems. The first is that I took the heater out of the old tank because the ambient temperature of my old room is 78-80 degrees this time of year, which is close to how I usually keep it anyways. However, someone went into my room to do some work and turned on the air conditioner (which I usually leave off) and when I got there a day and a half later the tank was close to 70 degrees. So it's safe to assume the tank was too cold for at least a few hours, I'd guess around 12 based on when the person was in the room. But I did realize that and temp acclimate before putting the fish in. The second mistake, which I'm really kicking myself for, is that I mixed the new water to the salinity that I usually use in my tank 1.024. However, it didn't occur to me that since I've been moving for a few weeks now and somewhat neglected my tank thank the correct amount of top off wasn't happening, so the salinity rose to about 1.027. So while I temperature acclimated I did not do so for the salt because I thought it was the same level when it wasn't.

So I'm pretty confident that I know what went wrong, but part of me was hoping there'd be a tip or trick to help, but logically I know there probably aren't any.

Also I'm not intentionally ignoring your request for parameters, my testing kit got messed up, so I have to get a new one. I know, it's almost useless posted without parameters, but I'm just freaking out because I've had these fish for two years.
I’d say the tanks temperature issue is way more severe than the SG issue. Most Fish can easily handle an SG of 1.027 that gradually increased with evaporation. Not many can handle temperature drops of 8 degrees quickly and that’s a lot lower than the temp they survive in...

OP
OP
Mike197

Mike197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say the tanks temperature issue is way more severe than the SG issue. Most Fish can easily handle an SG of 1.027 that gradually increased with evaporation. Not many can handle temperature drops of 8 degrees quickly and that’s a lot lower than the temp they survive in...

Yeah I agree, that's what I'm worried about.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree, that's what I'm worried about.
I assume you've rectified the temperature issue? All I can think of now without knowing the other tank parameters is to wait and see what happens. Not sure there's much more you can do.

Maybe a product like stressguard could help?

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the good thing is in most cases fish can handle a drop in Specific Gravity much easier than a sudden increase in Specific Gravity. Clownfish are pretty bullet proof in most cases. People used to use them to cycle tanks, along with Damsels which they’re related to. Now the temperature thing could have been the issue possibly. That’s a big drop in a short amount of time. Fish do encounter temp swings in the wild. Storms, Currents, Thermal clines, etc. 8 degrees is a pretty big drop. I hope things turn out well. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
Mike197

Mike197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I wanted to wait a few days just to be safe, but so far both fish seek to be doing well. While one of them still has a little bit of pink in their coloration, they are both acting and eating like normal.
Thank you both again for the advise/support.

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I wanted to wait a few days just to be safe, but so far both fish seek to be doing well. While one of them still has a little bit of pink in their coloration, they are both acting and eating like normal.
Glad to hear it!

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! That’s great to hear! Glad they pulled through and are better:)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 170 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back