WD Keeps Improving Every Week

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Walt Disney that I’ve grown from a frag the size of a pea keeps improving its color weekly. I’ve kept increasing my light intensity slowly, but surely. My lights just hit “Day time” intensity and thought I’d snap a quick pic
5B2E8C6F-CA0A-41CE-A7BE-68BBD18725D2.jpeg

Photo taken 9/28/19
B45A42E9-96DE-4F65-9A2D-A3F744AF5C6B.jpeg

Photo taken 10/4/19

Last edited:

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small WD frag. It has very little yellow. Mostly green. It has amazing Polyp extension though. Any suggestions to help color it up? Nutrients levels? Target feeding? Etc. Thanks

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a small WD frag. It has very little yellow. Mostly green. It has amazing Polyp extension though. Any suggestions to help color it up? Nutrients levels? Target feeding? Etc. Thanks
Patience. It’s helpful to realize frags are usually cut tips, the most colorful part of the colony. This usually leads to the specimen basing out, color wise. The new growth will eventually produce new tips that will pop with color. These pics were taken about 1 apart
08153CA2-E236-4510-81E5-F178677B4E34.jpeg
9A16DEBA-30D7-4742-B341-00BC227DF88D.jpeg

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

When I received this frag in a trade it was basically a light yellow color with good PE. It didn't do much more then encrust for a while. It really took off honestly when I read one of @bubbaque posts about how much he feed his tank, and how much WWC feeds throughout the day. I have almost without fail fed my reef 2 times a day with a combo of reef roids, roe, oyster feast, and live phyto. I additionally feed my fish 1 or 2 times a day with Larrys, mixed with roe, oyster feast and reef roids. I've really ramped up my lighting as well ... above the tank (Radion G3) and above the fuge. As I continue to increase the amount / percentage of the white, red and green channels from the Radion's this WD, and all of my SPS are responding extremely well with growth and color. My nutrients have remained pretty steady for months with very little algea pressure / growth.

Nice looking colony you grew from a frag! Nice work!
You're very kind!

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Do you know what PAR level the frag is currently at?

When I had my Radions set exactly to the AB+ program at 100% overall intensity I measured it at 350 PAR. I've since continued over the past months to changed the white, red and green channels. At this time B, RB, UV are at 100% and white, red and green are at 40%. I'm clearly "north" of 350 PAR now, but i have not measured.

Currently the WD is 8" below the water line. Other SPS (Matt V RE, RMF Flavor Parade, ASD Mille) are 2-4 inches below water line and they’re loving life.... at what PAR I do not know, but I perceive it's high. Need to rent the meter again from BRS

Last edited:
Back