WD

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of fighting which is better just go with the best of both color power and coverage all in 1 by the way awesome wd I'm not ready for sps but it's on my short list for when I do try again
20180830_013713.jpg

Yeah I couldnt decide either so I decided to try the best of all worlds. Three way combo on a new frag system.

Jordan Prather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jordan Prather what LED’s are those?
They are the zetlight ufo 8300 I love them but they were way more powerful then I expected I'm not even running the t5s yet at I caused some light bleaching and an algea bloom when I switched over to the zetlight everything coming back the way it should though and I'll probably start slowly bringing the t5s back in an hr at a time now

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on the brs video about the radion's coverage. Also what about the diffuser units? I hear a lot of people talk about how t5 is better than LED, however I used to use t5s and since I swapped over to a XR-30 with the diffuser upgrade I've never even considered going back. Maybe someday I'll add some t5s to supplement the coverage, but I'm currently about to buy another radion for my 120 gallon setup, my only debate being whether I should buy a XR-30 and leave my xr15 on my frag tank or use my xr30, my xr15, and buy another xr15 to put over the tank (all diffuser upgrades).
They are expensive for a reason. There is few that can top Radions especially with par levels on deeper tanks. I love the AI LED’s but their par level drops very fast the deeper you go. Im not trying to state anything else Im just saying you can’t compare the cost between LED’s and T5’s unless your going with Chinese Black boxes. LED’s are great but they definetley need to figure out that issue with the spread and coverage. Orphek has it down.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your opinion on the brs video about the radion's coverage. Also what about the diffuser units? I hear a lot of people talk about how t5 is better than LED, however I used to use t5s and since I swapped over to a XR-30 with the diffuser upgrade I've never even considered going back. Maybe someday I'll add some t5s to supplement the coverage, but I'm currently about to buy another radion for my 120 gallon setup, my only debate being whether I should buy a XR-30 and leave my xr15 on my frag tank or use my xr30, my xr15, and buy another xr15 to put over the tank (all diffuser upgrades).

I think thats the biggest issue with led’s, coverage and shading. Right under the radion is where a colony i likely to get less shading but still quite a bit then the more you move to either direction the less light the coral is receiving on the farther side. There are some people that get very nice uniform growth when you place them close together for less shading like Sanjay but even with that he states his tank is only 75-80 percent of what it used to be. I wish someone had an answer to why LED’s grow corals slower some people say shading but there are panels now and people still only get about 75-85 percent of the results compared to halides and t5’s. Some people think the technology for LED is already here I think there is a long way to go still. The growth factor i beleive is the only reason the lighting debate is still around because color with LED’s are amazing. The day that the lighting debate is over is the day I know that we have gotten the tech we need for led’s to compete at the same level/outcompete halides and T5’s.

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats the biggest issue with led’s, coverage and shading. Right under the radion is where a colony i likely to get less shading but still quite a bit then the more you move to either direction the less light the coral is receiving on the farther side. There are some people that get very nice uniform growth when you place them close together for less shading like Sanjay but even with that he states his tank is only 75-80 percent of what it used to be. I wish someone had an answer to why LED’s grow corals slower some people say shading but there are panels now and people still only get about 75-85 percent of the results compared to halides and t5’s. Some people think the technology for LED is already here I think there is a long way to go still. The growth factor i beleive is the only reason the lighting debate is still around because color with LED’s are amazing. The day that the lighting debate is over is the day I know that we have gotten the tech we need for led’s to compete at the same level/outcompete halides and T5’s.

I think your picking and choosing what you want to see/hear.
Its already been proven that LED's are more than capable of growing SPS. As I previously stated I have Acropora SP. growing on my sand bed in less than 100 PAR and this is with old Hydra 52 LEDs, the newer HD versions I believe will pump out even more PAR.

Are there any scientific studies to suggest LED's grow corals slower than other methods or should we just take your opinion as fact?

I thought the old "LED's aren't as good as T5/MH" debate was put to bed long ago

Its my opinion that we worry too much about our lighting, weither its producing enough PUR or PAR. We also have an unhealthy obsession to ensure our water is crystal clear so its aesthetically pleasing for our viewing.
If you ever go diving on a reef you will see just how poor the visibility can be, so corals aren't always getting the huge PAR that we think they need. I'm of the belief if we keep our water parameters in check and have a half decent light source the corals will grow just fine.
-Tony

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run every type of lighting for extended periods and they all have their pros and cons, but they all will grow sps hands down. End of the day consistent water chemistry is more important than T5 vs LED vs MH in my opinion.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had more growth when I moved to leds from t5, so this argument is faulty.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that one. Almost looks like it's taking a tabling shape, like Hyacinthus, from that angle.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back