WD

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your picking and choosing what you want to see/hear.
Its already been proven that LED's are more than capable of growing SPS. As I previously stated I have Acropora SP. growing on my sand bed in less than 100 PAR and this is with old Hydra 52 LEDs, the newer HD versions I believe will pump out even more PAR.

Are there any scientific studies to suggest LED's grow corals slower than other methods or should we just take your opinion as fact?

I thought the old "LED's aren't as good as T5/MH" debate was put to bed long ago

Its my opinion that we worry too much about our lighting, weither its producing enough PUR or PAR. We also have an unhealthy obsession to ensure our water is crystal clear so its aesthetically pleasing for our viewing.
If you ever go diving on a reef you will see just how poor the visibility can be, so corals aren't always getting the huge PAR that we think they need. I'm of the belief if we keep our water parameters in check and have a half decent light source the corals will grow just fine.
-Tony

I never said that they were not capable, but you also can’t compare growth with halides and T5’s. There is no study as far as I know but what id o know is its not just my opinion and that it is a very true fact. If LED’s grew coral as fast as halides and T5’s there would be no debate AT ALL its that simple. I wouldnt be running halides and dealing with heat if they produced the same results and no one else would either. I do agree we worry way too much about lighting because you can get good results with all 3, just not the same results. I agree as well corals will grow just fine but some people don’t want to settle for just fine. Go talk to sanjay he has minimal shading with led’s because he placed his radions close together and he has said it time and time again his tank is only 80% at most what it used to be with halides.

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean no offense but your arguing with an opinion and not an objective fact, from everything I know, LEDs have been designed to grow faster or at least equal to halides/t5s nowadays. The only reason people argue now is because people have been developing their opinion for years and everyone, no matter what topic it is about or what hobby, will always be nostalgic and say "the old way is better". This is the same reason why people say "old cars are better" or "old music is better", they grew up with a method or way of life and they refuse to change or admit they are wrong. Also didn't the CoralLab PDF show that radions grew faster than halides?
I never said that they were not capable, but you also can’t compare growth with halides and T5’s. There is no study as far as I know but what id o know is its not just my opinion and that it is a very true fact. If LED’s grew coral as fast as halides and T5’s there would be no debate AT ALL its that simple. I wouldnt be running halides and dealing with heat if they produced the same results and no one else would either. I do agree we worry way too much about lighting because you can get good results with all 3, just not the same results. I agree as well corals will grow just fine but some people don’t want to settle for just fine. Go talk to sanjay he has minimal shading with led’s because he placed his radions close together and he has said it time and time again his tank is only 80% at most what it used to be with halides.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean no offense but your arguing with an opinion and not an objective fact, from everything I know, LEDs have been designed to grow faster or at least equal to halides/t5s nowadays. The only reason people argue now is because people have been developing their opinion for years and everyone, no matter what topic it is about or what hobby, will always be nostalgic and say "the old way is better". This is the same reason why people say "old cars are better" or "old music is better", they grew up with a method or way of life and they refuse to change or admit they are wrong. Also didn't the CoralLab PDF show that radions grew faster than halides?

I have not read it yet I will check it out. Spectrum of course plays a huge role and although its an opinion, its a very popular opinion and has been proven time and time again. Desighned to grow faster? I wouldnt say that but instead designed to be efficient and minimal. For me its not about the old way being better because I started after the halide hype died and also had 3 tanks all on LED’s for a while i started the hobby with LED’s. But after switching to halides and seeing the growth and difference in pop when the reefbrites come on I dont think theres much that will convince me to go back. I don’t want to throw this thread off course anymore than this but id love to hear your side pm me

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy, you.. are.. tripping.. I think everyone here understands what you're trying to say. However, I don't think you're going to be changing anyones mind. If someone uses LEDs and they have excellent growth/colors, what do they care about another light source? Im strictly T5s, I see awesome LED and Halide tanks, not ever going to make me want to change though..Sounds to me like you had a bad run at it with LEDs, could've been the chemistry.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy, you.. are.. tripping.. I think everyone here understands what you're trying to say. However, I don't think you're going to be changing anyones mind. If someone uses LEDs and they have excellent growth/colors, what do they care about another light source? Im strictly T5s, I see awesome LED and Halide tanks, not ever going to make me want to change though..Sounds to me like you had a bad run at it with LEDs, could've been the chemistry.

Im not trying to get anyone to switch over, im just talking about the growth and some differences. I have not had a bad run so far with LED’s I still run two tanks with them. But use halides on others for growth and on my frag tank as well to grow out peices.

Tray333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WD
December 27 2017 1st picture
September 7 2018 2nd picture

DBE7BDBF-E306-4D9C-BB54-B7C39A5545CD.png

2E08957D-75F4-4F69-BF06-4E13E051064A.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to best reef lighting MH is king. Any coral under MH from 6500k to 20,000k will be healthy frow fast and have good color. T5 is nearly dead even with MH, awesome color and great growth but cost of buld replacements is costly. LED at this point is proven to grow colorful corals from the the high end Gen4 Radion to the cheap Mars CBB. LED is still lacking though in some areas. Spread and blending on most fixtures is poor or does one not the other well, Orphek and the AP700 solve these issues very well. LED claims to long life and low engergy costs, 50,000 hours of life. How many are still using the Gen 2 Radion or AI Solo Blue? Even though the LEDs, should still habe good useable life most people upgrade to the lastest versions. How much are you saving if you buy new $800 lights very 2 years?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we seriously stop with this debate. The OP posted pics of his awesome acropora and yet people have to spout nonsense and turn this into a which light is better and ruin his thread. If you use halides or T5 then great, go enjoy them. If you use led lights, awesome it is obvious they work very well as the pics prove it. @Thien Huynh keep the amazing pics coming please!

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are my two Walt Disney's I have right now the first picture is the one I just got from my lfs and the second pic is the nub I've been growing out that I got from cornbred
20180913_220943.jpg
20180907_180746.jpg

How long have u had the one from cb? Any pics of the nub when you got it? Im receiving some tenius nubs from him as well would love to see others results :)

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we seriously stop with this debate. The OP posted pics of his awesome acropora and yet people have to spout nonsense and turn this into a which light is better and ruin his thread. If you use halides or T5 then great, go enjoy them. If you use led lights, awesome it is obvious they work very well as the pics prove it. @Thien Huynh keep the amazing pics coming please!
I think I'm just going to start blocking every single person that brings this debate up to prevent hypertension.

vio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone loves what works for them..

I don't see enough Disney pictures here:).
100% right, If you like LEDs ....good.......T5.......good......MH....good for you, In my case , i run 3 x 400 MH + 30 W G4 pro ( i enjoy the crazy color of LEDs before and after MH) Is NO secret , good maintenance , good salt, great water flow make any SPS grow like Chaetto include W.D and H.R.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What conditions is everyone growing their WD in? PAR, nitrates and phosphate, flow, etc? I just got a frag and have it up top, right under one of my hydra26hd, direct flow. It’s covered in polyps, so guess it’s happy.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back