I could not be happier. Would love to see some before & after shots of your sps

5EC6D7A3-E0B1-43B0-928C-FB9EF195EB40.jpeg

E748C083-AC59-48F9-8096-BA92965D553C.jpeg

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score for the leds! Been seeing a lot of hating on them lately.

BUT he was running T5’s. Hes most likely going to see a decrease in growth now and an increase in coloration. LED’s out compete everything in my opinion when it comes to color.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out, years ago, with t5. Once I switched to a diy led light, my growth took off. My old diy led light had better coverage than many led fixtures today, so that should be considered. I switched to a single hydra26hd three years ago and had just deaths until I upped the par, dramatically. Now they are growing again.

I think the key with leds is that you need more than you think to be successful. Not for the peak par numbers, but for coverage. I’m about to have two hydra26hd lights over a 34g display.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out, years ago, with t5. Once I switched to a diy led light, my growth took off. My old diy led light had better coverage than many led fixtures today, so that should be considered. I switched to a single hydra26hd three years ago and had just deaths until I upped the par, dramatically. Now they are growing again.

I think the key with leds is that you need more than you think to be successful. Not for the peak par numbers, but for coverage. I’m about to have two hydra26hd lights over a 34g display.

Yes I completley agree with the coverage. I think they are doing it all wrong with this puck design, sure it gives incredible blending but the coverage on the coral itself is not good. What I mean is like only 60 percent of the total surface area on the colony is receiving light where as a panel or T5’s will hit closer to 90 maybe. I got tired of having to debate on which light source and the pros and cons so for my frag tank cycling currently I went with all 3. Halides,led’s and T5’s so all frags will be receiving 3 light sources.

OP
OP
aznreef99

aznreef99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT he was running T5’s. Hes most likely going to see a decrease in growth now and an increase in coloration. LED’s out compete everything in my opinion when it comes to color.
it was up to this point untill i changed over. i am also dosing other things too like ati essentials and KZ program

CBF845ED-6293-439C-BB28-D221FC87F1AE.jpeg

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score for the leds! Been seeing a lot of hating on them lately.
That's because they're not up to task, unless you run lot of fixtures and end up spending thousands of dollars. Believe me, the economics of led's doesn't currently add up for reef tanks. Until all manufacturers like Orphek design panel leds that mimic T5's and MH, MH and T5 will continue to reign supreme.

Nice walt disney op, mine is a slow grower.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because they're not up to task, unless you run lot of fixtures and end up spending thousands of dollars. Believe me, the economics of led's doesn't currently add up for reef tanks. Until all manufacturers like Orphek design panel leds that mimic T5's and MH, MH and T5 will continue to reign supreme.

Nice walt disney op, mine is a slow grower.

That’s your opinion, I’ve seen proof of the contrary. T5 also can cost $1ks of dollars and need bulb replacements regularly as well as heating control.

You wouldn’t install a single t5 bulb over your 50g tank and judge it, would you? Sticking up an underpowered led fixture is no different.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s your opinion, I’ve seen proof of the contrary. T5 also can cost $1ks of dollars and need bulb replacements regularly as well as heating control.

You wouldn’t install a single t5 bulb over your 50g tank and judge it, would you? Sticking up an underpowered led fixture is no different.

I agree with @Scorpius, T5’s will only costs thousand if your running a very latge system and even then its a fraction of the cost of LED’s. Heating control? I have never heard of someone with heat problems using T5’s. Its not stickint an underpowered fixture its that you need a lot of LED’s to get decent coverage and this coverage still is not as good as T5’s. Radions for example are said to light a 36”x36” reef tank. I have never heard of anyone who has a 6 foot tank with only 2 radions the coverage is just not good enough.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Scorpius, T5’s will only costs thousand if your running a very latge system and even then its a fraction of the cost of LED’s. Heating control? I have never heard of someone with heat problems using T5’s. Its not stickint an underpowered fixture its that you need a lot of LED’s to get decent coverage and this coverage still is not as good as T5’s. Radions for example are said to light a 36”x36” reef tank. I have never heard of anyone who has a 6 foot tank with only 2 radions the coverage is just not good enough.

You are picking out the priciest of leds for examples. There are plenty of non Radion leds out there that can grow corals. This is really just a simple example of “whatever floats your boat”. Trying to state anything else is arrogant and nonsensical, but please keep telling us how you know best :)

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are picking out the priciest of leds for examples. There are plenty of non Radion leds out there that can grow corals. This is really just a simple example of “whatever floats your boat”. Trying to state anything else is arrogant and nonsensical, but please keep telling us how you know best :)

They are expensive for a reason. There is few that can top Radions especially with par levels on deeper tanks. I love the AI LED’s but their par level drops very fast the deeper you go. Im not trying to state anything else Im just saying you can’t compare the cost between LED’s and T5’s unless your going with Chinese Black boxes. LED’s are great but they definetley need to figure out that issue with the spread and coverage. Orphek has it down.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are expensive for a reason. There is few that can top Radions especially with par levels on deeper tanks. I love the AI LED’s but their par level drops very fast the deeper you go. Im not trying to state anything else Im just saying you can’t compare the cost between LED’s and T5’s unless your going with Chinese Black boxes. LED’s are great but they definetley need to figure out that issue with the spread and coverage. Orphek has it down.

My LFS, who by the way has tanks to rival the best here, switched from MH to AI hydra26hd and hydra52hd leds. He’s now giving Radion a try to see if there’s is any difference.

He uses t5 in his low light tanks. :)

Radions just use a different lens to concentrate the light. There isn’t anything magic about the diodes themselves.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS, who by the way has tanks to rival the best here, switched from MH to AI hydra26hd and hydra52hd leds. He’s now giving Radion a try to see if there’s is any difference.

He uses t5 in his low light tanks. :)

He’s gonna love the radions. Its a really nice LED. Is he running only 2 bulbs for the lowlight? I usually only see them on SPS systems.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Box LEDs will grow Coral just fine and are cheap as long as they have the correct diodes in them no changing of bulbs after 6 months no heat. LEDs have come a long way you don't have to spend a lot if you don't want to. Just my two cents

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back