OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current state of things. Nothing really to complain about, my left gyre 350 has failed for a second time now and I think I'll be removing the gyres and adding two more tunze pumps.

Also found several aptasia in the tank, no idea how they got it, but they seemed to be all over the tank in the span of a week. I'll pluck then off where I can, but will probably wait till it's unmanageable and then add in nudibranchs.

On the second week of dosing acro power and am seeing a bit more colors in a few of my acros. If that's from the acropower or the 5lbs of fish poop I removed from behind the back rock structure remains to be seen.

I've had nothing but issues with my red sea tank and my jawbreakers were starting to look ready to melt, so for now they are living at the end of the tank away from as much flow as possible. They are perking back up so that's nice.

Also looking for skimmer recommendations, I currently use a reef octopus 150, it works fantastic but the other day I shut it off and realized 99% of the noise from my tank is the skimmer intake and pump hum. Looking for something nice and silent.

Coming up on a year here soon for this tank, cheers everyone!

20201108_101556 (1).jpg

20201108_101633 (3).jpg

20201108_101637.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see all is thriving.
I can recommend Royal Exclusiv skimmers. Extremely well made, very silent, nicely adjustable.
It comes at a certain cost, but, imo, worth it.
I have had Reef Octopus, Nyos and Deltec. The Royal Exclusiv was top.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just snagged me a pair of Tunze 6105's going to replace the gyres, one pump has completely stopped again and I hate how much flow they lose over time, the two tunze 6095's I have already seem to push way more water.

Can't wait to get them on the tank.

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 months of growth on PC Rainbow. Old me would have spent a bunch of time researching and trying to find out why my corals only encrusted, in the past I have spent time chasing down the "problem". It's taken almost 10 years for me to learn to just keep parameters in line, and leave it be.

Gi38Ii8.jpg

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank will have been up for a year this month!

So far I've been more than happy with how things have gone, a lot of people say tanks aren't ready to grow and color up sps for at least a year. Obviously there are outliers and I'd like to think that I am one of them. Only one coral was lost in this year (Oregon tort) and was caused by me.

This is the first time I've made it to the point in the hobby where my sps have gone from small frags on rocks to actually full blown colonies on several of them. I'd like to think the next year will bring some fantastic growth and color, fingers crossed and knock on wood!

20210124_214811.jpg

20210124_214755.jpg

OP
OP
WDKegge

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got plans to spend the afternoon on some tank maintenance I've been putting off, so far on the list:

Clean all tunze pumps
25G water change (siphon ditritus buildup in back of the tank)
trim chaeto back that growing out of the water in the sump
clear calc reactor and add new media

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back