We finally tested the Black Box LED... Compare notes? | BRStv Investigates

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say of all the lights I have tested and used, radion, blackbox, SB, AI, kessil, the look of the kessil is the best. They remind me of my 20k halides I used to use.

Do you have a link

I will also add that I've seen this set up in person, and there is a huge difference in spectrum color blend, and look of the unit, and usability of the wifi apps between the two.

CwStrife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS said they don't have the time.

But they have time to review the junkiest of the black box fixtures? You know i'd give BRS credit if they really took the time out and bought a few different ones and try and open up the market a bit. All you hear is the same brands over and over. I'm personally happy I found ledzeal as a company. I love their lights and I own half a dozen of them as well as AI lights. Just need more selection in this dang hobby with the lighting IMO.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But they have time to review the junkiest of the black box fixtures? You know i'd give BRS credit if they really took the time out and bought a few different ones and try and open up the market a bit. All you hear is the same brands over and over. I'm personally happy I found ledzeal as a company. I love their lights and I own half a dozen of them as well as AI lights. Just need more selection in this dang hobby with the lighting IMO.
The last thing this hobby needs is more manufacturers who just jump in to make a few bucks.

And why should BRS be responsible to test all these lights? Manufacturers should test their own lights and provide the results. That is literally their job.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing this hobby needs is more manufacturers who just jump in to make a few bucks.

And why should BRS be responsible to test all these lights? Manufacturers should test their own lights and provide the results. That is literally their job.
Also BRS makes no money on these videos and the testing they do, in fact it costs them money. I think Ryan at one point said that the video they made costed about 5 grand to produce.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1000! I agree completely. CwStrife can spend thousands of his dollars for production and do his own testing. For someone to make statements like I'd give BRS credit but....annoys me. They do the most extensive testing on products for us, the hobbyists on there dime to provide factual information. I'm extremely grateful for this and if you want other black boxes tested then tell the manufacturers to step up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More selection, lol. This market is flooded. Do some research, plenty of options out there, IMO

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also BRS makes no money on these videos and the testing they do, in fact it costs them money. I think Ryan at one point said that the video they made costed about 5 grand to produce.
Well, youtube revenue, plus revenue through customers coming to their site watching videos and buying the products they see in videos. :p

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still appreciate what they do. For some people to knock it just seems off to me. Even boom corals did a great review on lights but there will always be someone to complain or criticize when the people providing this testing are contributing useful information to reefers. I think it's great and provides information for people to make there own decisions.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, youtube revenue, plus revenue through customers coming to their site watching videos and buying the products they see in videos. :p
Yeah I guess that's true...But I like to believe that Ryan and the BRS team do it out of the kindness of their hearts :D

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bet BRS YouTube revenue is pretty small. If this video cost them $5k, they'll never see enough revenue from this video alone to make up the cost. Last time I seriously looked into YouTube revenue is was like $3300 per 1M views and it's changed since then.

Now I think watch time is taken into account, what material your channel talks about and what ads are "allowed" on your channel. If you talk about certain "controversial" topics, the bigger companies won't run ads on your videos so you don't get paid. Then throw in that I'm pretty sure BRS doesn't run any ads on their videos and it further drives down their YouTube revenue.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet BRS YouTube revenue is pretty small. If this video cost them $5k, they'll never see enough revenue from this video alone to make up the cost. Last time I seriously looked into YouTube revenue is was like $3300 per 1M views and it's changed since then.

Now I think watch time is taken into account, what material your channel talks about and what ads are "allowed" on your channel. If you talk about certain "controversial" topics, the bigger companies won't run ads on your videos so you don't get paid. Then throw in that I'm pretty sure BRS doesn't run any ads on their videos and it further drives down their YouTube revenue.
Looks like BRS averages 22,000 daily views, which puts them into annual earnings between $2k and $32k depending. I'd agree this is barely a drop in the pan given the number of videos they do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back