Weird fry that appeared after water change!?

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO very unlikely to be a clown fish or other traditional saltwater fish due to the larval stages of growth the the microscopic food needs. Killifish would be very likely, no true larval stage and nothing really larger than baby brine shrimp for a food requirement. I've been breeding killifish for 50+ years and there are many species that thrive in full salt water or certainly can adapt to full saltwater. Hatch some brine, it's super easy, and raise them fishy so we can determine which killie it is.

reefruss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to mention there are many Fundulus species that would look like that at that age.

Sassifrass7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can Killifish live in saltwater at all? I thought it looked like our Mosquito Fish babies. But they too are usually freshwater fish. Maybe Killifish and Mosquito fish can be reared in saltwater too? Like my Saltwater Mollies?

Purpletank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after four years I find out what my mystery fish was in my very first reef tank. Mine fit that description exactly only a little smaller. It stayed in the rocks hiding mostly. Wish I still had the photo.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can Killifish live in saltwater at all? I thought it looked like our Mosquito Fish babies. But they too are usually freshwater fish. Maybe Killifish and Mosquito fish can be reared in saltwater too? Like my Saltwater Mollies?
@Sassifrass7 Sorry for the late reply. Although most species of killifish are strictly freshwater fish, there are several types of killifish that live in brackish water, and even saltwater, in nature. I have collected, bred, and still maintain both Rainwater Killifish (Lucania parva) and Gulf Killifish (Fundulus grandis). These can be kept in nearly fresh, brackish or full salt, but since I caught them both in full salt in the Gulf of Mexico I chose to also breed them in full salt. I plan to go collecting again soon in the Gulf and will be specifically looking for Diamond Killifish (Fundulus xenica) and Marsh Killifish (Fundulus confluentus).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back