Weird growth on peppermint shrimp

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal, this is my first batch!

It's only on one side of him, maybe it's my banded shrimp that disappeared ?

They've been in qt for about 4 days

20161104_163120.jpg

20161104_163103.jpg

20161104_162936.jpg

20161104_163120.jpg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no guesses, but i had one with exactly the same thing on it. I have no idea what ever happened to it as i had a bunch of them at the time. But i know it didn't seem to have an ill effect on the shrimp. I figured it to be some sort of parasite.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Isopod. From what I remember when I researched it before, there are conflicting theories as to what the effects are to the shrimp. Most people said that the shrimp lived a normal life and the isopod didn't bother it. Others said it is like a vampire, and will weaken the shrimp until it dies. Then I have even heard that people had isopods spread to other shrimp/fish when the original host molted. I'd see what you can find online. I know they can be removed with a razor blade, tweezers, patience and a steady hand, though. Google "peppermint shrimp isopod surgery."

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an Isopod. From what I remember when I researched it before, there are conflicting theories as to what the effects are to the shrimp. Most people said that the shrimp lived a normal life and the isopod didn't bother it. Others said it is like a vampire, and will weaken the shrimp until it dies. Then I have even heard that people had isopods spread to other shrimp/fish when the original host molted. I'd see what you can find online. I know they can be removed with a razor blade, tweezers, patience and a steady hand, though. Google "peppermint shrimp isopod surgery."
Interesting

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 23.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 106 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back