Weird growth on sailfin’s fin? Help ID the problem?

brandon2950

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, about a week ago we noticed a growth on our sailfin tang, and it has gotten bigger, and darker in color. If someone could ID this growth and inform me how to treat it, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
358E633B-72C4-47B5-9F8F-BBC2BD95160E.jpeg
2EDA20B6-60A6-4CA3-81E2-E0B4B83286F8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, about a week ago we noticed a growth on our sailfin tang, and it has gotten bigger, and darker in color. If someone could ID this growth and inform me how to treat it, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
358E633B-72C4-47B5-9F8F-BBC2BD95160E.jpeg
2EDA20B6-60A6-4CA3-81E2-E0B4B83286F8.jpeg
This is bacterial and likely related to either post injury or a water quality issue . Treatment will be in quarantine using seachem kanaplex and monitor water quality with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen during treatment

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Remember when I showed you the porcupine puffer with a severe case of whatever this is? I don't think we ever figured it out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is an aggressive case of Lymphocystis. What happens is that the viral cells get into the fish's tissue and cause the skin cells to become giantized. Depending on the type of cells involved, the resulting growth can be different colors and can grow at different rates. That this is on the trailing edges of the fins points to it being Lymphocystis. Fish can fight this off eventually with no treatment, but it may get worse before it gets better, and will take a month or more.

That said, I can see some random white spots on the fish and its fins - those bear watching in case they are ich or some other parasite.

Jay

OP
OP
B

brandon2950

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is an aggressive case of Lymphocystis. What happens is that the viral cells get into the fish's tissue and cause the skin cells to become giantized. Depending on the type of cells involved, the resulting growth can be different colors and can grow at different rates. That this is on the trailing edges of the fins points to it being Lymphocystis. Fish can fight this off eventually with no treatment, but it may get worse before it gets better, and will take a month or more.

That said, I can see some random white spots on the fish and its fins - those bear watching in case they are ich or some other parasite.

Jay
I’m almost certain you are correct after doing more research! Thank you so much for the help as I am fairly new to the hobby. I will keep my eye on it.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bacterial and likely related to either post injury or a water quality issue . Treatment will be in quarantine using seachem kanaplex and monitor water quality with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen during treatment
I second that this is likely lymphocystis, and also provide my asurance and experience that this usually just clears up on it's own. So it was with our porcupine puffer, and as you can see his case was worse than that of your fish :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back