Weird paddle shaped thing in my GSP

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2020
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
1,192
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me figure out what this thing in my green star polyps is? I just noticed it yesterday when a hermit crawled up in the gsp and seemed interested in it.
20200512_101251.jpg
 
Tried to get a better photo, it looks like a green
20200512_110853.jpg
leaf with a black stalk
 
I'm thinking it may be some kind of macro-algae. I got this little GSP covered rock from a guy getting out of the hobby, unfortunately I never saw his tank to know what he had growing in it.

It could be something like Halimedia, but the black base doesn't seem right.
 
Looks like a mermaids fan algae. I forget the technical name.
 
are they in any way a threat to my corals? I'm obviously pretty new to all of this.
 
I don’t think so however I am not an expert. You could try to scrape it off and put in your sump or transplant away from corals.
 
I would leave it alone personally. They can grow to be very pretty and are not invasive. I don’t believe the coral will be bothered at all.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new