Weird Torch Growth?

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: <1 year reefing so I'm learning so much all the time.

I've researched as much as I can as to what this is but it seems to be growing and can't find any information. I'm wonder if it is good or bad and what to overall think. I've had this purple torch in my tank for 2 months. It did go through my transition to a larger tank and seems happy. It was fully extended but I had it recede a bit for the pictures. I'm curious if anyone can provide information on what this (and it is happening in maybe three spots on the skeleton) could be? Looks like white crystals building and building. Now one has what looks like like a perfect open hole circle at the tip of the growth.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

20201110_164018.jpg
20201110_164030.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got a couple, at least, things growing. Pineapple sponge, sponge, and tube worms.

OP
OP
H

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everything. P-Dub - The breakdown on what I'm seeing helps a lot. My basic understanding tells me I can get more but it's not going to harm anything and is mostly caused because of the new tank and high flow..Tank has only been wet about 2 months.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everything. P-Dub - The breakdown on what I'm seeing helps a lot. My basic understanding tells me I can get more but it's not going to harm anything and is mostly caused because of the new tank and high flow..Tank has only been wet about 2 months.
Likely no issue and growth of the hitchhikers will ebb and flow as the tank goes through various stages. The snails, depending on the type, can become an issue if growth continues unchecked as they may begin to irritate your coral. It is easily remedied, since the coral is still able to be moved, by scraping off the worms manually.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back