Weird white spots during cycling, Please take a look

ASIM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m 3 weeks into cycling my tank. After week 1 I got zero ammonia, however, nitrite keeps getting higher even after doing 75% water changes.

Yesterday, I noticed there are white spots on the heater holder, also, there are floating white stuff in the water column.

This is how it looks. What could it be? And is there a relationship between high nitrite and the white spots?

8DA55B4B-8553-4C2C-81CD-58C4EE825C06.jpeg 3D35E693-0EE6-44D2-BD9C-44B8E7118FCA.jpeg

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m 3 weeks into cycling my tank. After week 1 I got zero ammonia, however, nitrite keeps getting higher even after doing 75% water changes.

Yesterday, I noticed there are white spots on the heater holder, also, there are floating white stuff in the water column.

This is how it looks. What could it be? And is there a relationship between high nitrite and the white spots?

8DA55B4B-8553-4C2C-81CD-58C4EE825C06.jpeg 3D35E693-0EE6-44D2-BD9C-44B8E7118FCA.jpeg
Nitrite isnt really a concern in SW tanks. Looks like you may have gotten a bacterial bloom.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

What kind of rock did you use? And is it new or reused? Kinda looks like bacteria colonies

OP
OP
A

ASIM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of rock did you use? And is it new or reused? Kinda looks like bacteria colonies
I used new dry (caribsea life rock), with REDSEA sand and Dr.Tim’s bacteria.

when you say bacteria colonies, do you mean good or bad?

OP
OP
A

ASIM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite isnt really a concern in SW tanks. Looks like you may have gotten a bacterial bloom.
From what I read about bacteria bloom, they mention (cloudy water), not white spots!!!

But my water is fairly clear with some white particles floating around.

OP
OP
A

ASIM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look kind of like a sponge. Normal process of new tank cycle. But with them floating in water column I am unsure.

@brandon429 might be able to take a look and help with the cycling numbers while at it
I am doing fishless cycling. How would sponge got into my tank?

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used new dry (caribsea life rock), with REDSEA sand and Dr.Tim’s bacteria.

when you say bacteria colonies, do you mean good or bad?
In that case, I'd say your cycle is about done since it's clearly converting ammonia to nitrate very quickly. If those are bacteria colonies, it would be really hard to tell if they are good or bad, most likely good or of no concern. And as for what you see floating around in the water, it's most likely colonies that have come free and are floating around

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat thread. Per the ways people cycle collectively they don't pre rinse sand they use it right out of the bag and small particles of silt may be clinging to surfaces with bioslicks or colonial development. The system would have carried fish on day one without burning them so at three weeks wait it won't do any good to wait longer for basic ammonia control. If that system was mine I would just change the water and begin reefing if rocks have been in place the whole time. Nitrite has no bearing in display cycling at all now, it used to, but new rules no longer factor it specifically in marine tank display cycles (it cannot burn organisms is why we don't factor it any longer)

I would never believe any non digital test kit to render any cycling parameter accurately anyway, nitrite simply doesn't factor in start date assessment. Specific preps for fish disease prevention are required to make the tank safe for fish, waiting longer can't.

OP
OP
A

ASIM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat thread. Per the ways people cycle collectively they don't pre rinse sand they use it right out of the bag and small particles of silt may be clinging to surfaces with bioslicks or colonial development. The system would have carried fish on day one without burning them so at three weeks wait it won't do any good to wait longer for basic ammonia control. If that system was mine I would just change the water and begin reefing if rocks have been in place the whole time. Nitrite has no bearing in display cycling at all now, it used to, but new rules no longer factor it specifically in marine tank display cycles (it cannot burn organisms is why we don't factor it any longer)

I would never believe any non digital test kit to render any cycling parameter accurately anyway, nitrite simply doesn't factor in start date assessment. Specific preps for fish disease prevention are required to make the tank safe for fish, waiting longer can't.
In that case, I'd say your cycle is about done since it's clearly converting ammonia to nitrate very quickly. If those are bacteria colonies, it would be really hard to tell if they are good or bad, most likely good or of no concern. And as for what you see floating around in the water, it's most likely colonies that have come free and are floating around
That’s good to know, thank you guys

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back