Weird wrasse behavior?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ear Muff wrasse is acting weird tonight. He will cruise along about 2-3" above the sand and then tilt slightly to one side and whip his tail and throw sand everywhere. Sometimes he will turn quickly and swim over that area and sometimes he doesn't.

He otherwise acts normal. Ate aggressively like he always does tonight. I have only observed this behavior when I'm sitting in front of the glass. When I watch from a distance he doesn't do it. He only does it near the front glass not anywhere else in the tank.

What the heck is he doing?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leopard does this sometimes when she's hunting. I think she's trying to launch little critters out of the substrate.

It could also be a territorial thing. Fish are weird.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, wrasse are goofy!

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I did some experimentation. He doesn't do it unless I'm sitting directly in front of the tank. If I move to the other end of the tank he comes to that end and does it.

I don't know if he's mad or if he is excited thinking he's going to be fed. I know CBB shake their heads when excited, I wonder if this is the wrasse equivalent?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make a difference what color shirt your wearing? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of seeing his reflection during those times?

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I did some experimentation. He doesn't do it unless I'm sitting directly in front of the tank. If I move to the other end of the tank he comes to that end and does it.

I don't know if he's mad or if he is excited thinking he's going to be fed. I know CBB shake their heads when excited, I wonder if this is the wrasse equivalent?
I wonder if he sees you as a threat "territorial " warning let you know to step back lol

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it make a difference what color shirt your wearing? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of seeing his reflection during those times?

I hadn't considered that......The first night I had a white t shirt, the second night I had a black one. I'll see what happens tonight with a yellow one! :D

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back