Weird

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this morning my maxi mini carpet anemone is eating what looks like my shrimp ….

the shrimp is still alive , but I didn’t think anemones ate the molt …
3376B07B-BD01-4690-936F-F1328F6AF808.jpeg

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this morning my maxi mini carpet anemone is eating what looks like my shrimp ….

It is a symbiotic relationship where the shrimp receives protection from the anemone and the anemone shares some of the shrimp's food. See them closely u will notice this

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can also be like u hv feeder something to anemone and shrimp is stealing it. If u hv clown, it will definitely not like it

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a symbiotic relationship where the shrimp receives protection from the anemone and the anemone shares some of the shrimp's food. See them closely u will notice this
It’s a 230 gal
The anemone is at the top middle of the tank.
the shrimp stays on the bottom left in the rocks .
There is no way the molt was left
There by the shrimp cause he’s never up there .

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a maxi mini carpet I was unaware they would bond with anything such as clown fish or shrimp .
@vetteguy53081 we know they are not a hosting anemone but how would the molt make it to the top ?

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still there or anemone eat it? I can't get it. If it is there, it is just shrimp getting protection if anemone has eaten it then take care next time. I think it is commensalism ie, none of individual is harmed or gets benefits. It is just sometime shrimp hangs near anemone or under anemone.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a maxi mini carpet I was unaware they would bond with anything such as clown fish or shrimp .
@vetteguy53081 we know they are not a hosting anemone but how would the molt make it to the top ?
Molts aren’t heavy, normal flow in the tank would push it around.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly, everything in my tank eats the molt. I too have a mini maxi and I believe they eat it as it’ll have some nutrition considering what the shrimp’s exoskeleton is made from.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Molts are cavities which can easily be blown around by current. If nem is at the top - its not getting enough light.
The only symbiotic relation a shrimp other than sexy and anemone shrimp have with a carpet is - its going to be a meal. There is no relationship with this shrimp.
Large mouth specimens like lobo, scoly and similar will ingest or try to ingest anything it can get a hold on. Not unusual to see this. At times. you will see them reject the object if it cant be ingested/digested

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Molts are cavities which can easily be blown around by current. If nem is at the top - its not getting enough light.
The only symbiotic relation a shrimp other than sexy and anemone shrimp have with a carpet is - its going to be a meal. There is no relationship with this shrimp.
Large mouth specimens like lobo, scoly and similar will ingest or try to ingest anything it can get a hold on. Not unusual to see this. At times. you will see them reject the object if it cant be ingested/digested
I witnessed this - my Genicanthus Angel was weak and on deaths door, my mini maxi decided to try eat his tail but reject it. Certainly an interesting but strange thing to see considering this was a 6” fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back