OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still pretty skiddish with the eating. Doesnt eat much of the LRS i feed but picks. I tried more masstick tonight hoping ill see some progress with that....If not ill have to try another route. Suggestions on the next food to try? live brine or frozen mysis? I even gave her a nori sheet to nip at but i think she didnt go for that either as it was pretty whole.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She should start eating better soon. I work at my LFS and a typical feeding for us consists of a mix of frozen bloodworms, mysis, brine, and clam. At first they don’t eat, but after a few days will pick a little, and then will eat quite well. Everyone that comes in and considers purchasing one of course wants to see them eat before buying since they tend to be finicky eaters and fortunately I have had good luck with them, at least with the couple individuals I’ve dealt with in my rather short time there.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added garlic to the masstick. Mine does not eat nori either. I do feed her vitamin enriched clams, and almost any other frozen food I can get. She is finicky. And changes her mind often as to what she will eat. Since she is picking now, try some of the foods she refused again. Mine also likes the freeze dried black worms. I add a drop of vitamins to a small chunk and place it on a clip. Nice to hear she is starting to eat. ;Happy

Shelley

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah she likes to pick at the foods just nothing substantial where shes mowing it down. Id like to see her eat more and have tried giving her some of the prawn i feed my zebra moray but that didnt seem appealing to her either. I have added garlic to all of her foods including selcon. So at least the pieces she is eating is packed with vitamins as well as the medication.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this week was a week from the underworld. Woke up to a heater malfunction that killed my brunneus wrasse and rhomboid. Also looks like its gonna kill my sinularus coral as they are pulling themselves off there rocks and deflated. Started my first round of prazi in the QT and the next day my regal died. All in all it looks like i've lost about 700 dollars worth of livestock in 1 week.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your nightmare Icefish. I had a heater break on one of my tanks, but I got lucky and caught it in time. It seems that when a heater goes it locks in the on position. I have since gotten in the habit of using two underrated heaters vs one built for the size tank. What do you think happened to the regal?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear that!
Hope the remainder recovers soon.

Best advice I've heard so far.

2 under rated heaters instead of 1 higher rated heater.

Heaters get replaced every 2 years for no reason at all except "it's time". Set it in google calender.
Sort of like getting an oil change on the car.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your nightmare Icefish. I had a heater break on one of my tanks, but I got lucky and caught it in time. It seems that when a heater goes it locks in the on position. I have since gotten in the habit of using two underrated heaters vs one built for the size tank. What do you think happened to the regal?
I do have 2 underrated heaters for my tank actually...dont know how it happened but it just got stuck on long enough that it overheated the water. I got a jaeger true temp coming from BRS hopefully tomorrow or monday to replace the one i lost and if it does good probably replace the other. The want for a APEX went up after this incident. But its just hard to swallow a 800 dollar purchase like that. As far as the regal goes I have no idea. She was eating albeit not great. But as soon as prazi went in she just tank within the night. Not sure why since i was treating her with the internal parasite meds before so it shouldnt have been a huge shock to her. Luckily i have a good relationship with my LFS and i got another on order when one comes in. I ended up purchasing a trio of sunset anthias while i was there to help ease my loss after my fish perishing. Once i get my regal going next plan is going to be a lineatus

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. We've all been there, for many, multiple times. We can prepare for everything and some things can still fail.

As for your Angel, when I first started the hobby I was a bit more adventurous getting myself into fish that were known to be finicky feeders. I won some and lost some. Mostly lost. Now, I play it safe. I don't have the head to go through a loss anymore. Lol

The Lineatus and Sunsets are going to cheer you up. Very pretty fish!

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. We've all been there, for many, multiple times. We can prepare for everything and some things can still fail.

As for your Angel, when I first started the hobby I was a bit more adventurous getting myself into fish that were known to be finicky feeders. I won some and lost some. Mostly lost. Now, I play it safe. I don't have the head to go through a loss anymore. Lol

The Lineatus and Sunsets are going to cheer you up. Very pretty fish!
Thanks. I was pretty depressed not gonna lie. I've lost lots of fish already in my career but this one just stung more due to my tank feeling more established and leveled then when i started years ago. My sunsets already ate there first food in QT even with prazi in the water so im glad to see this. Lineatus will be after i get ahold of another regal. I will get one in my tank as its my mission now. Might be looking for a good used apex to if i can. Only issue is i need the wireless one since i dont have a wired connection where the tank is.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was pretty depressed not gonna lie. I've lost lots of fish already in my career but this one just stung more due to my tank feeling more established and leveled then when i started years ago. My sunsets already ate there first food in QT even with prazi in the water so im glad to see this. Lineatus will be after i get ahold of another regal. I will get one in my tank as its my mission now. Might be looking for a good used apex to if i can. Only issue is i need the wireless one since i dont have a wired connection where the tank is.

You mentioned eating with prazi pro in the water, most fish do perfectly well being treated with prazi pro. You really CAN NOT wait to treat for internal parasites, the way they treat them through collection until you get them it is almost guaranteed they have been exposed to parasites. They are kept in cramped conditions and not fed, so go figure. If you wait and it turns out you have a problem, it's too late. If you choose to replace the regal, please be prepared to immediately treat with prazi pro, then follow with metro/focus in the food.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned eating with prazi pro in the water, most fish do perfectly well being treated with prazi pro. You really CAN NOT wait to treat for internal parasites, the way they treat them through collection until you get them it is almost guaranteed they have been exposed to parasites. They are kept in cramped conditions and not fed, so go figure. If you wait and it turns out you have a problem, it's too late. If you choose to replace the regal, please be prepared to immediately treat with prazi pro, then follow with metro/focus in the food.
I have had experience with them not eating with prazi in the water right away so i make sure they eat first before dosing prazi. The fish i have now went through this and did well but plenty of others have not which didnt make it out of QT. I will try the prazi method right away with this next regal and see. I have also heard a lot of people say they dont do prazi until they are eating or the fish will not eat while being treated. Learning and figuring out what works is part of the process i guess. Ill try it your way this coming time and hopefully will work out. When i worked at my last job which was a aquarium store they went right into medicated water from wholesale. Plenty did well and plenty died within 24 hours.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had experience with them not eating with prazi in the water right away so i make sure they eat first before dosing prazi. The fish i have now went through this and did well but plenty of others have not which didnt make it out of QT. I will try the prazi method right away with this next regal and see. I have also heard a lot of people say they dont do prazi until they are eating or the fish will not eat while being treated. Learning and figuring out what works is part of the process i guess. Ill try it your way this coming time and hopefully will work out. When i worked at my last job which was a aquarium store they went right into medicated water from wholesale. Plenty did well and plenty died within 24 hours.

I know I sound like a broken record, you'll see me post the same response over and over. The reason is, when myself and a couple of friends started that routine we immediately saw results. Hard to feed fish like some angels and wrasses started eating within 2-3 days; a flagfin, potters, blueline, some leopard wrasses; just to name a few. Overall our losses immediately noticeably decreased. Internal parasites is a scourge that is likely at epidemic proportions.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear. :( It is always hard to lose a pet.

Shelley
Yeah it was a hard week for sure. At least my LFS is decent and i can get another to try my luck again.

I know I sound like a broken record, you'll see me post the same response over and over. The reason is, when myself and a couple of friends started that routine we immediately saw results. Hard to feed fish like some angels and wrasses started eating within 2-3 days; a flagfin, potters, blueline, some leopard wrasses; just to name a few. Overall our losses immediately noticeably decreased. Internal parasites is a scourge that is likely at epidemic proportions.
I will try this method for sure next time. When you dose prazi do you notice your water in QT to get super cloudy? It doesnt matter how much filtration i seem to have in my QT that everytime it turns the water cloudy and it wont go away until i do a W/C and put in carbon or poly filter

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was a hard week for sure. At least my LFS is decent and i can get another to try my luck again.

I will try this method for sure next time. When you dose prazi do you notice your water in QT to get super cloudy? It doesnt matter how much filtration i seem to have in my QT that everytime it turns the water cloudy and it wont go away until i do a W/C and put in carbon or poly filter

Yes it can make the water cloudy. Funny thing is I am pretty anti-med, but prazi pro has always been safe for me, and it's the only med I use prophylactic on every fish I get. I have heard people say they've had fish react badly, so I would say be careful of dosing the proper amount. I did have a discussion with one lfs owner here, he said he's had customers od their fish with prazi.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can make the water cloudy. Funny thing is I am pretty anti-med, but prazi pro has always been safe for me, and it's the only med I use prophylactic on every fish I get. I have heard people say they've had fish react badly, so I would say be careful of dosing the proper amount. I did have a discussion with one lfs owner here, he said he's had customers od their fish with prazi.
So what would you suggest for a dose then? Since i dosed the correct amount. Although the fish seem unaffected by it it looks like other then the water being very cloudy

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back