Well i finally pulled the trigger...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while (larger size) who was a model citizen and an absolute delight ... and then Brooklynella happened. Will definitely do regal/s again.

Been looking on Michael's site, and haven't seen regal angels!?

~Bruce, wishing you the best with this little fellow

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while (larger size) who was a model citizen and an absolute delight ... and then Brooklynella happened. Will definitely do regal/s again.

Been looking on Michael's site, and haven't seen regal angels!?

~Bruce, wishing you the best with this little fellow
Sorry for your loss. Hate when illnesses take over as they have high mortality rates even when caught early. I was looking on monday after work after funny enough, just talking to a co worker about wanting one. He had the juvies available. Saw it and instantly bought it. After i purchased i went back to look and i must have purchased the last one as the picture disappeared from the list. He gets them pretty often iv'e seen. I checked at least a few times a week. Thanks for the wish's!

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: So he came at 10 a.m this morning (I took of ALL day from work for this little bugger) Floated him to get him acclimated to the temp then acclimated him in a 5 gal bucket for bout a half an hour. Little guy was swimming around and very alert right out of the box. Put him right in with my springeri damsel and he's been playing follow the leader with him. Very surprised my damsel didnt attack him and was prepared to get rid of him but they seem to be quite cordial so far. All and all it seems happy and looks healthy. Waiting on my masstick and meds to get here this evening to try and feed. When it becomes a little less skiddish ill snap a pic!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. For future new arrivals also check salinity in the bag of new arrivals and match to it. Almost all fish I have ordered have come in lower salinity than I keep my tanks at. I use a hypodermic needle for this. Just a small amount out of the bag without opening it does the trick. ;) Looking forward to seeing a photo. ;Happy

Shelley

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. For future new arrivals also check salinity in the bag of new arrivals and match to it. Almost all fish I have ordered have come in lower salinity than I keep my tanks at. I use a hypodermic needle for this. Just a small amount out of the bag without opening it does the trick. ;) Looking forward to seeing a photo. ;Happy

Shelley
That was part of the 5 gal acclimation. I slowly adjusted him to the salinity of my QT tank. Thanks! Unthawing some LRS first to see if he goes for it. Got my focus and metroplex in the mail so added that and going to dose to the other fish and see how they like it.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the little one did pick at a few of the pieces. Which im pretty surprised he ate at all after all that shipping so i feel like its a good start. He didnt pig out and inhale everything in the tank but he did pick and suck down a few of the smaller morsels. Saw him grazing on some of the film algae that was growing in the qt tank walls as well.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the initial feeding i havnt really seen the little guy eat. Tried the masstick on the rocks i have in there and feeding LRS reef frenzy so far. It goes up to the frozen food and looks but then doesnt eat. Same thing with the masstick. Does the masstick disolve in the tank? If it doesnt then he may be eating it when im not look because the first time i tried it was gone the next morning.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After waiting too long on a goldflake angel, I now immediately treat the tank with prazi pro. Whether it worked to clear internal parasites or just coincidence, I've found even the most picky eaters will start to eat within a couple of days. Anything over 3 days I would take action like introducing live food; pods, live black worms. Amphipods would be great, big and meaty and crawls over the rocks.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found out my filter took a dump on me. I went to look at the tank and seemed dirtier then normal before i went to bed. Looked at the filter and sure enough it wasnt running. Took it apart and found that the back of the motor had eroded and fried the pump. Needless to say i feel that might have something to do with the fish not wanting to eat in a dirty tank....Did a quick 5 gal water change on it (tank is 30 gallons) Going to go and get a new filter asap after work and hope the tank survives that long. I have a air pump and power head in the tank as well so its getting airation still. Just not filtered...

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some live food. Mine would not always eat in the beginning if I was watching. Put the food in and back away if you are not. Masstick should be removed same as any uneaten food each day. Try mixing some garlic in with it. Brine shrimp are a great idea also.

Shelley

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some live food. Mine would not always eat in the beginning if I was watching. Put the food in and back away if you are not. Masstick should be removed same as any uneaten food each day. Try mixing some garlic in with it. Brine shrimp are a great idea also.

Shelley

Yes, live brine shrimp is also a good ice breaker, you can then start to mix in frozen brine and mysis.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing a nice revamp on the quarantine tank and the new filter on i will give it a go tomorrow when they settle down from all the stirring up i caused. If it doesnt go for the masstick or LRS i will get some brine and try that. Also i do stand back away from the tank when feeding. This fish has very sharp eyes and just watches me until im around a corner basically before it starts swimming around.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad. I know that others do this. I am not able to either. I should look into it. Might help solve some problems. Or at least my stress!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice fish- My last regal took 6 day before it started eating in front of me. PE Mysis shaved real small while still frozen, was the first thing it started eating with gusto. It would only eat the smallest pieces at first. After a couple of weeks it started eating bigger chunks. Good luck.

OP
OP
ice fish

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice fish- My last regal took 6 day before it started eating in front of me. PE Mysis shaved real small while still frozen, was the first thing it started eating with gusto. It would only eat the smallest pieces at first. After a couple of weeks it started eating bigger chunks. Good luck.
I noticed this same behavior. I was thinking of doing that actually. Thanks though! Glad to know its not super abnormal

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back